Lark vs Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Lark vs Commander

I am in the process of restoring a 1964 Studebaker Commander, 6 cyl, auto trans. Most available NOS parts, particularly those advertised in the Studebaker International catalog, appear to be almost all for Lark with almost nothing for the Commander. My question is; Are most mechanical parts interchangeable between the 6 cyl Lark and the 6 cyl Commander?
    After exhausting all sources, I found that replacement engine heads for this year are unavailable, most likely because they had a tendency to crack. I had mine pinned and it seems to be fine. Maybe 1964 wasn't the best year for the company.

Originally posted by CrazyCars View Post
    I am in the process of restoring a 1964 Studebaker Commander, 6 cyl, auto trans. Most available NOS parts, particularly those advertised in the Studebaker International catalog, appear to be almost all for Lark with almost nothing for the Commander. My question is; Are most mechanical parts interchangeable between the 6 cyl Lark and the 6 cyl Commander?
    After exhausting all sources, I found that replacement engine heads for this year are unavailable, most likely because they had a tendency to crack. I had mine pinned and it seems to be fine. Maybe 1964 wasn't the best year for the company.
    Welcome to the forum.

The term Lark was dropped somewhere in 1963.. Daytona, Regal, Commander, Challenger, Cruiser, Custom are all "Larks" with subtle changes to interiors body molding and number of headlights.

6cyl vs V8 may have just been Dana 27 vs Dana 44, depends on how the car was ordered.

Most (98%) mechanical parts are interchangeable between 1961 to 1964.

Window regulators are different between hardtops vs non hard tops, some subtle changes etc..

Odd you could not find a 6 cyl head that was not cracked as these heads were from 61 until they stuck Chevy engines in them.
    There are hundred of these heads laying in folks storage areas, just maybe as in the "Wanted" thread.

You should post some pics of your car..
    Last edited by SScopelli; 07-26-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

The term Lark was dropped somewhere in 1963.. Daytona, Regal, Commander, Challenger, Cruiser, Custom are all "Larks" with subtle changes to interiors body molding and number of headlights.

6cyl vs V8 may have just been Dana 27 vs Dana 44, depends on how the car was ordered.

Most (98%) mechanical parts are interchangeable between 1961 to 1964.

Window regulators are different between hardtops vs non hard tops, some subtle changes etc..

Odd you could not find a 6 cyl head that was not cracked as these heads were from 61 until they stuck Chevy engines in them.
      There are hundred of these heads laying in folks storage areas, just maybe as in the "Wanted" thread.

You should post some pics of your car..

Thanks for the helpful reply! I was under the assumption that the valves were different in the 64 6 cyl motor and the exact head was needed. Good to know that this is not the case. I have found this forum extremely helpful. Will post pics of my car as soon as I get it together and running.

Comment

Progress to date photos are fun.

Comment

Working...
        X