Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    FWIW, my neighbor got his from ebay store. Quick Performance Racing. Staticz2229.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    The Speedway option sounds like the best bet, but if you want an inexpensive rear with disc brakes already installed, try a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear from a Pick N Pull type yard. $100 - $200 depending on where you are and when you buy.
    Also try your local craigslist. And it already has the Stude bolt pattern. I used one under the 37 Coupe. Its a tad wider than I want, but for this car, in this configuration, it works great. If I get really troubled by it, I'll have it narrowed.
    A small, but nice added bonus to the Explorer rear is the flanged U-joint. My drive shaft guy said I only needed about 1/2" take out instead of the often used 1" takeout, due to the clearance of the U-joint cradle. I doubt that the extra 1/2" bite on the output shaft will make any huge difference for this car, but ya never know.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1728923
    Drive shaft got done a couple days ago and installed. And now its back to the front end. I've ordered tubular A arms for the Mustang 2 front. I'm using coil overs like the rear. I decided to forego the airbags for now. First priority is to get it on the road. Fancy stuff later. Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Jack, Get a 56" wide 9" from Speedway. They run around $600, housing and axles. They are made buy Currie for Speedway, but since Speedway buys so many they can beat Curries prices by 30 or 40%. Especially if you get it from their garage sale or when they offer free shipping and 10% off.

[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
    Supposed to say "Lark or Hawk", Edit button won't let me change the title.
    Edit your initial post, then click on "advance," there you can fix the title..

Leave a comment:

• what huh
    replied
    I plan on using a ford 8” as well. Getting 2 axle shafts from the short side of the axle and then narrowing the axle to match. Then it’s a matter of getting the right tire to fit.

I feel it’s much easier to axle then tires/wheels rather then picking out tires/wheels and then trying to make an axle would.

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    I used a Ford 8.8 in my 59 wagon. Narrowed 4 inches so the Creager wheels would clear the rear fenders. Moser axels 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. 259, auto, 307 gear. Orphan drags, 58 in 16 seconds. Not fast but steady.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    I got a 8" from a 1966 fairlane all rebuilt with new bearings and brakes for $100 and looks like it will fit right in my 62 hawk project. So they are out there.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Yea, Currie will do most anything.
    They narrowed and fully built the Nodular case, Dana 44 for me for one of my 54 wagons so I could use a nicer looking wheel...with some actual offset..!

9"...na, too much hypoid angle. Equals too much frictional loss. Studebaker engines can't be loosing much power to parasitic losses.
    That's why I stuck with the 44. More than enough parts for the Dana too. Tons of offroad guys use them.

For my other 54 wagon, back when I was looking for a rear axle for that, I wanted a Ford 8", but at the time, no one was building them. Now, it's no problem to get an 8" done. Still has the high hypoid angle, but not nearly as bad a frictional loss as the 9".
    Ended up with a Winters Quick Change axle. Whines like crazy on the freeway..!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• WinM1895
    replied
    Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Maybe a lincoln versailles rear end.
    1977/80 Versailles has a 9" rear axle with rear disc brakes and 5" x 4 1/2" bolt circle pattern.

1975/78 Granada/Monarch also have these features (optional). Versailles is basically a rebadged Granada.

1975/80 Granada/Monarch were also available w/a 8" rear axle that looks similar to a 9 inch.

Some of these cars were also available with the WER 8.7" integral rear axle that you do not want.

btw: 1970/77 Maverick & 1971/77 Comet are basically identical, have an 8" rear axle.

Pic from 1973/79 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725215304FPS-8094-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1728911
    Last edited by WinM1895; 07-25-2019, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Curry enterprises will build an axle for ANYTHING you want.

The Lincoln Versailles axle is a 9" with disk brakes, and should only need spring perches moved if even that. It's width should be good to go. Only problem is finding one.

If you're using a relitively stock engine (under 400HP) why not use an 8". Way easier to find. Brake and gearing are just as available as for the 9" and almost any 8" should be the right width without modification, (the Maverick is narrowest, and fits GREAT under a '53 Coupe) and it will fit under an unmodified floor very easily, even in a lowered car.

............................................Maverick 8" in '53 coupe

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
    Bob,

Can you send me the contact info for the shop that did yours?

JK
    I heard he had some health issues a while back and got out of the business but I'll check over the weekend to see what I can find. Bob

Leave a comment:

• 3x2stude
    replied
    Bob,

Can you send me the contact info for the shop that did yours?

JK

Leave a comment:

• 3x2stude
    replied
    I know where I can have one made by several vendors. I am just trying to skip the "design / build" process by repeating a "PREVIOUS STUDEBAKER BUILD".

JK

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Maybe someone like that is in your area. Perhaps seek out the local street rodders. They are usually versed in such resources.
    Joe beat me to it. Ask at the local drags and other races, around my small neck of the woods there are a couple of folks that build them for the drag, sprint and circle track guys. That way, you can talk your way through your needs. They know the axle sizes available for your needs and how to build them for drags.

Less difficult was my 44 posi with 4:10 gears but I asked around and found "Big Jim". He did mine but in his shop was any number of modified 9" for a lot of racers in a wide radius around here.

Best of all you'll save shipping.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    My older brother had a Ford 9", posi-trak set up for his 1949 Stude pickup. It was maybe 10 years ago, done by a guy he met at the annual Louisville Street Rod National meet. That guy specialized on modifying rear ends for whatever a person had in mind, and Ford 9" was his bread & butter. Have long forgotten his name, and not sure he is even still around. He set the rear end up from drum to drum. All my brother needed to Dao was bolt its in.

Maybe someone like that is in your area. Perhaps seek out the local street rodders. They are usually versed in such resources.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X