No announcement yet.

Had a Ford 9" made for a Kakf or Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Had a Ford 9" made for a Kakf or Hawk?

I need to get a Ford 9" for the Daytona I have. The Dana 44 is pretty tough but I do not want to mess with a rear axle that I have to grease the bearings like the Dana 44. TT parts are hard to find and if I add an Auburn center I will about at the same cost. The added strength is not the only reason. The brake options for the 9" are endless.
    I have data off the copy of the original Dana drawing Jim Pepper has so I can send in requests for quote to vendors but i
    f someone has had a vendor like Moser make one and I could reference the build it would same me some time. No "rants" on why I should not do this please.

JK

Supposed to say "Lark or Hawk", Edit button won't let me change the title.

Comment

Maybe a lincoln versailles rear end.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Should not be too hard to get one made up. My friend and neighbor had one made for a 51 commander and another for a 56 Chevy station wagon. I will ask where he got them from.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

My older brother had a Ford 9", posi-trak set up for his 1949 Stude pickup. It was maybe 10 years ago, done by a guy he met at the annual Louisville Street Rod National meet. That guy specialized on modifying rear ends for whatever a person had in mind, and Ford 9" was his bread & butter. Have long forgotten his name, and not sure he is even still around. He set the rear end up from drum to drum. All my brother needed to Dao was bolt its in.

Maybe someone like that is in your area. Perhaps seek out the local street rodders. They are usually versed in such resources.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Maybe someone like that is in your area. Perhaps seek out the local street rodders. They are usually versed in such resources.
            Joe beat me to it. Ask at the local drags and other races, around my small neck of the woods there are a couple of folks that build them for the drag, sprint and circle track guys. That way, you can talk your way through your needs. They know the axle sizes available for your needs and how to build them for drags.

Less difficult was my 44 posi with 4:10 gears but I asked around and found "Big Jim". He did mine but in his shop was any number of modified 9" for a lot of racers in a wide radius around here.

Best of all you'll save shipping.

Bob

Comment

I know where I can have one made by several vendors. I am just trying to skip the "design / build" process by repeating a "PREVIOUS STUDEBAKER BUILD".

JK

Comment

Bob,

Can you send me the contact info for the shop that did yours?

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                  Bob,

Can you send me the contact info for the shop that did yours?

JK
                  I heard he had some health issues a while back and got out of the business but I'll check over the weekend to see what I can find. Bob

Comment

Curry enterprises will build an axle for ANYTHING you want.

The Lincoln Versailles axle is a 9" with disk brakes, and should only need spring perches moved if even that. It's width should be good to go. Only problem is finding one.

If you're using a relitively stock engine (under 400HP) why not use an 8". Way easier to find. Brake and gearing are just as available as for the 9" and almost any 8" should be the right width without modification, (the Maverick is narrowest, and fits GREAT under a '53 Coupe) and it will fit under an unmodified floor very easily, even in a lowered car.

............................................Maverick 8" in '53 coupe
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      Maybe a lincoln versailles rear end.
                      1977/80 Versailles has a 9" rear axle with rear disc brakes and 5" x 4 1/2" bolt circle pattern.

1975/78 Granada/Monarch also have these features (optional). Versailles is basically a rebadged Granada.

1975/80 Granada/Monarch were also available w/a 8" rear axle that looks similar to a 9 inch.

Some of these cars were also available with the WER 8.7" integral rear axle that you do not want.

btw: 1970/77 Maverick & 1971/77 Comet are basically identical, have an 8" rear axle.

Pic from 1973/79 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725215304FPS-8094-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1728911
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 07-25-2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Yea, Currie will do most anything.
                        They narrowed and fully built the Nodular case, Dana 44 for me for one of my 54 wagons so I could use a nicer looking wheel...with some actual offset..!

9"...na, too much hypoid angle. Equals too much frictional loss. Studebaker engines can't be loosing much power to parasitic losses.
                        That's why I stuck with the 44. More than enough parts for the Dana too. Tons of offroad guys use them.

For my other 54 wagon, back when I was looking for a rear axle for that, I wanted a Ford 8", but at the time, no one was building them. Now, it's no problem to get an 8" done. Still has the high hypoid angle, but not nearly as bad a frictional loss as the 9".
                        Ended up with a Winters Quick Change axle. Whines like crazy on the freeway..!

Mike

Comment

I got a 8" from a 1966 fairlane all rebuilt with new bearings and brakes for $100 and looks like it will fit right in my 62 hawk project. So they are out there.

Comment

I used a Ford 8.8 in my 59 wagon. Narrowed 4 inches so the Creager wheels would clear the rear fenders. Moser axels 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. 259, auto, 307 gear. Orphan drags, 58 in 16 seconds. Not fast but steady.

Comment

I plan on using a ford 8” as well. Getting 2 axle shafts from the short side of the axle and then narrowing the axle to match. Then it’s a matter of getting the right tire to fit.

I feel it’s much easier to axle then tires/wheels rather then picking out tires/wheels and then trying to make an axle would.
                              Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Working...
                              X