Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking expert advise on an appropriate ignition system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure that PSI number has a lot to do with WHAT that whirly thing is?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You need more belt wrap on the blower pulley. It is going to slip if you get close to the power required to get 13.5 psi.
      David L

Comment

S2, to your ignition question. pertronic's makes a 6volt electronic ign conversion. would need adapting to your dist. a pertronics will fire plugs under 18+ pounds boost, but thats a 12 volt system. some one with electronic's back ground can 'splain better. to your boost question, the blower manufacturer should be able to help there. Luck Doofus

Comment

Looks like a Novi2000 supercharger.
          I know that Dave Bloomberg ran his on a 259 with 2:1 overdrive with a gilmer belt (toothed drive/zero slip).
          He made 22psi at 7200 rpm.

Having said that I bought Dave's setup, slowed the ratio down, am running it on 300cid and expect about 14 to 15 psi at 7000 rpm.
          Your cam is going to affect your ultimate boost based on the cam timing, and the overlap.
          Your RPM range is going to affect your ultimate boost.
          Your exhaust is going to affect your boost.
          Your intake and heads will affect your boost.
          And as far as supercharger boost goes, there is no free lunch.
          It takes HP to spin a supercharger, and that HP rate ramps up with RPM (resistance to flow).
          That was the reason for my much earlier comment about cranking load and supercharger load.
          This style of supercharger takes very little effort to spin at cranking speeds.
          But the power it takes to turn it ramps up real quick, especially if your engine components and component timing is not optimized for the supercharger.
          Just slapping on a supercharger does not guarantee superior horsepower.
          Sure, it may make some cool noises and go faster, but as speed/HP goes up, durability comes down.

Again.. Plan your work.. Work your plan.
          And have some fun doing it.
          A Novi2000 supercharger on a Stude engine just plain looks cool! And it can run hard, too
          This is not a brag pic.. But it is a dream/plan/build/results pic. You can do it!

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-25-2019, 06:00 AM.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And to add...
            All those things in your engine that restrict airflow
            (corners, runner resrictions, valves, cam timing, exhaust)..
            All of those restrictions will cause boost levels to rise.
            But all of those restrictions will cause the inevitable energy transfer.
            When your airflow gets restricted the energy lost is not lost. It is just coverted to heat.
            So your intake charge temperature goes up.
            That will affect your HP, and your general operating conditions.
            And supercharged and turbocharged engines and cast pistons don't get along at higher boos levels. Even a dished cast piston at 13 psi is going to cause trouble.

Read up on supercharging and turbocharging.
            It is a worthwhile investment of your time.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thank you all, who responded with so much helpful advice, and encouragement! It may take me a little while to fully digest it all, without becoming totally overwhelmed? As they say, the Devil is in the details, and completing this project does look like it will be a Devil of one. But, if I can defeat it, it will be very worthwhile?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I am sure that PSI number has a lot to do with WHAT that whirly thing is?
              Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Looks like a Novi2000 supercharger.
              It's, actually, a Vortech V2 - SQ supercharger. I don't know exactly how it differs from a Novi2000?

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
              You need more belt wrap on the blower pulley. It is going to slip if you get close to the power required to get 13.5 psi.
              Are there any educated guesses, on the boost level this set up should be capeable of, as is? If I do maximize the blower pulley belt wrap, will it then be adequate to achieve the 13 - 1/2 lb boost?

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
              X