Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michidan
    replied
    Still looking for an opinion on this from any 52 guys. I have nothing really left of my car for reference. From all the pictures I have been able to find, it really looks like a "fat" (like 1/2") windlace was used at the front door edges, which somehow stops about top of daskboard. Then a thinner piece goes up the windshield sides and across the top.

I have some fat windlace, maybe I'll just run it all the way around as one piece. I wonder if the fat windlace across the windsheild top will be distracting?

I am not sure how to dead end the fat pieces and start the thin ones off. I guess I don't really care if my car is perfect to stock or not, I just can't seem to decide what to do. Somebody influence me.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Leave a comment:

• Jackson
    replied
    Thats it, mine have the tack holes also and the color is sort of cream or a faded white.

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    Cool! Jackson, thanks for this as last night I found in one of my boxes what I think is the side glass windlace.

I have this stuff that is medium gray color, hard plastic. Cross-sectionally it looks like this:

\ /
    O

A V shape with the bead at the vertex. The holes in this line up with holes I have in the tack strips above the windows, so it was installed there once. What I didn't know was whether this was correct or just some weird replacement piece, as this interior was redone before.
    Apparently then these models used regular (soft) windlace at dash and rear of doors, but hard plastic above the windows. Any disagreements?

The gray color would seem correct. According to Phantom only one color headliner is correct - the light grat "flax" color.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Leave a comment:

• Jackson
    replied
    I saved all of the top exterior chrome (pitted) and interior trim pieces, including stainless, windlace, sunvisors and top bows from a previous 52 hardtop project. The windlace that goes above the side glass is a unique design plastic.

Leave a comment:

• John Kirchhoff
    replied
    Hmmm, 9 years. I've been waiting 17 years to get mine back on the road. I guess us Stude owners are nothing if not persistent! And patient! Or maybe we're just broke all the time........

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    The picture of your new one looks so nice, I'd say I have a good chance is seeing what "correct" should be from it.
    I've been 9 years on my car, so I guess I can handle a couple of weeks.
    (but if anyone else wants to chime in - I'm all ears).

Dan
    52 hardtop

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Just bought another one last night, give me a week or two and I can help.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    59 3E Truck
    57 Silver Hawk
    53 Starliner
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Here's some pix of the 52 Starliner I just sold, some windlace is shown.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    59 3E Truck
    57 Silver Hawk
    53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• bradnree
    replied
    try:...smsautofabrics.com also for their phone. They were very helpful with our '60 Lark cloth--exact match and windlace.....Brad

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    started a topic Windlace routes, 52 hardtop

Windlace routes, 52 hardtop

How is the windlace on a 52 hardtop supposed to run...anyone know? I have been saving pictures I find across the internet and this helps a bit. But no definitive answer yet.

I know I need a piece from the floor at left kick panel, between dash and A pillar, up and around the windsheild and back down to floor. Is this all one piece? On most pics I have seen it is, but on hardtops I have seen where it kind of looks divided. Maybe the hardtops use convertible pieces which were seperate?

Then I need a piece up the front edge of each rear door panel. I have yet to see a good picture of how these terminate at the top though.

The biggest mystery for me is along the window tops. Is there windlace here at all? Same diameter as the others? Or do we just have headliner and that is all?

A forum search here for windlace gives some good info. FYI in 1952 there ae no built in windlace hooks, just the cardboard nailing strips all over. These are above the windows as well, which makes me think there was windlace here too.

thanks.

Dan
    52 hardtop
Working...
X