No announcement yet.

Towing on tow dolly GT Hawk with Powershift precautions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Towing on tow dolly GT Hawk with Powershift precautions

I need to tow my 64 GT on a tow dolly for about 20 miles across town. Do I need to disconnect the driveshaft to protect the Poweshift automatic? Or will it be fine with the rear wheels turning the rear shaft? The Uhaul dealer said the pressure from the rear pump could damage the transmission.

Play it safe and disconnect the drive shaft...

Comment

I've towed a Studebaker with automatic for thousands of miles behind my motorhome.
      By all means, disconnect the rear u-joint from the differential yoke and secure the driveshaft under the car. Wrap the u-joint in a plastic bag and tape securely. Use a couple large alligator clamps to hold the driveshaft to the exhaust system or frame. Make sure the shaft can't vibrate to the rear and come out of the trans.
      You can always just pull the driveshaft totally out, but you are going to lose a lot of fluid and make a big mess unless you have another yoke to slip in place and secure.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The early DG automatic transmissions had a front and rear pump and could be dolly towed without damage.
        Best to be safe and pull the u-joint.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

As you are renting from U-Haul anyway, I would suggest renting the auto hauler instead. Not much more money and it saves you from having to do anything to the car. IMHO it is faster and less work.

Comment

X2 for the Auto Hauler, BTDT. Luck Doofus

Comment

Tow dollies are too makeshift for me. I have had a couple of bad experiences with them. The u haul car trailer is excellent.
              Last edited by t walgamuth; 07-23-2019, 07:09 AM.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Uhaul car trailer $56 can't beat that, rented one several times.
                Mark Riesch
                New Bern, NC

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I was under the impression Uhaul only rented the car hauler if you towed behind a Uhaul truck. I'll use the car hauler instead of the dolly.

Comment

You can use your own truck providing it is rated for the weight being towed. Their trailer has surge brakes too IIRC so a braking device in your truck is not needed, just a four wire flat plug.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                    X