Vent Windows too loose, '50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Vent Windows too loose, '50 Champion

I have a '50 Champion Starlight. The vent windows are so loose and swing so easy that they will not stay in the full open position. As a result, personal comfort is negatively affected on a hot day. The hinges appear to be held together with rivets. Has anyone successfully remedied this problem before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-14 17.03.39 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1760827

Remove the vent window assembly from the door. There’s a spring on the bottom of the lower pivot with a nut that’s adjusted to hold the spring tension. It probably needs to be tightened up a bit.

Comment

Either that, or the shaft is broken and the spring is in the bottom of the door.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Name:	DSC02377.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1728861As said above tighten this spring or pick it up from the bottom of the door.

Comment

It's been a while since I had the trim panel off my door but, isn't there a hole in the door shell to access that adjusting nut so the vent needn't be removed to tighten it?
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Name:	DSC02381.JPG
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1728864I don't know about your model, but my 54 has a recess panel at that location that could be cut out??

Comment

You'll have to remove the inner window moulding that the wind wing and rubber are attached to. Not difficult. On my 52 there is a hole to get an oil can spout in to lubricate the pivot, but that's it. There's a pic in the Body section of the shop manual.
              3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

If you tighten that nut do it with some care. They tended to rust up. Lube it good with something that dissolves the rust. If you break it you will have to replace it
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                X