X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Originally posted by rowan View Post
    The Edelbrock’s mouth will not fit your original breather - I believe.
    That's true but I believe S.I. sold a reproduction air cleaner that fits the Edelbrock, but that leads to more expense that may not be necessary if the R-1 carb is rebuildable.

Leave a comment:

• rowan
    replied
    The Edelbrock’s mouth will not fit your original breather - I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Metman
    replied
    First, fantastic find!! That is a great looking Hawk!

As some others have said, I would suggest going through (or have a reputable/ knowledgeable person/shop go through) the carburetor before replacing with an Edelbrock. Not that the replacement isn't a good carb, but what you have may be fine and just needs to be rebuilt. A leaking carb can be as simple as a stuck float, or needle and seat. I have gone through my AFB a few times, and now that I had a shop (who knows AFBs very well) rebuild the bottom part (put bushings in the body for the shafts), while I did the rest of the carb, it works great!
    And yes, as planned, definitely go through the brakes as one of your first steps! Best of luck and keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    I will give that some thought. I would want it running....driving and ready to enjoy. It will have the best appeal for a potential buyer.
    Or am I missing something?
    Thank you
    Howard
    Bishop, California
    Last edited by Howardbishop; 07-26-2019, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 70Avanti2
    replied
    If you are going to resell the car keep the r1 carb on it.

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    Thank you StudeRich
    I was getting out the jack and Jack stands....ha! You saved me
    I'm happy that an inquiry question on my carburetor lead me to hear from real
    Studebaker men who have knowledge of the cars they love! What a great experience.
    You are very specific in your understanding of the production facts, vehicle numbers, value and options.
    Yes....a very nice car and my first Studebaker. Once I install the new Edelbrock and address the brakes,,,,
    I will post it for sale.
    This site is incredible. Many thanks to the "brothers" who took time to give clear and direct guidance and counsel.
    You are listed here in the replies.

Many thanks
    Best regards
    Howard
    Bishop, California

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I can save you the trouble of crawling under it.

63V29474 was Built as a R1 Jet Thrust (Avanti Engined), Champagne Gold, Power Shift Automatic with Air Cond. and Power Disc Brakes.

It came with No Gabriel H/D 3 way adjustable Shocks, No HD Springs, No Traction Bars, No Twin Traction Differential.

So NOT a Full Package Car. It did have JT1792 R1 Engine from the Factory.
    Still a very desirable GT Hawk.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-24-2019, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    Hi Warren
    Thanks for the insight and suggestion. I checked this afternoon and the engine stamp says JT 1792.
    I'll check to see what else must accompany the JT vehicles to be a real SuperHawk. The door stamp says 63V 29474
    This site is great.
    Many Thanks
    Howard

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    Thanks Dwight....I have one article specifying the package details. Sway bar in the rear....shocks...disc brakes front....some other things.
    More checking by me is required, I believe. I think that about 4000 total GT Hawks were built in 1963. I did not see how many were Supercharged, how many super Hawks and how many were standard 289, 2 bbl. In any case...I may take the counsel offered here to rebuild the factory 4bbl carb as that may be important to a buyer.
    Thank you for the input....feel free to give more as this is my first Studebaker.
    Howard

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    As I said above, get the production order from the Museum and that will tell you whether it is a SuperHawk or not. There are a few guys that have the research info on all the Avanti equipped cars, but we'd need one of them to chime in here. Howard, I'd wait on replacing that carb until you find out the true identity of the car. If it is truly a SuperHawk then my suggestion would be to have the original carb professionally rebuilt and use it that way. If you want to sell the car it will have more value with the original equipment vs. replacement. Just my opinion, Bill.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Just to clarify things a little....A Hawk or Lark factory-equipped with an Avanti engine isn't necessarily a "Super Hawk." The term Super Hawk means one with ALL the Super Hawk high performance equipment. Studebaker sold the Avanti high performance equipment ala carte, or one could order ALL the high performance equipment and that car was called a Super Hawk. I have two '64 Hawks, both with Avanti R1 engines, and neither is a Super Hawk.
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    Thank you Colgate Studebaker!!!!
    I checked the motor this afternoon. I posted the proof.
    Its a JT 1792 motor.
    So....help me out...I'm a beginner with
    GT Hawks. How many 1963 Super Hawks? Whats in the number?
    I'm having a ball....thanks to this site and some great information!
    Best regards
    Howard
    Bishop, Ca.

Leave a comment:

• Howardbishop
    replied
    Thank you, Dan White.
    Let me work on the numbers and get back to you on the 1403.
    Great support here at this site!
    Howard
    Bishop, Ca.

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    I have a new Edelbrock 1403 in the original box for $350 plus shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    With the additional pic's, I believe Gord hit the nail on the head. It appears to be an R1, powershift, p/s, p/discb, car, which could possibly be a SuperHawk if it has the additional "package" items. Howard if you could find the engine # as suggested previously and the serial # and post them here, maybe one of the guy's that have all the "super" car info could look it up and post the results for you. As stated before the engine # is stamped on the top left corner of the block itself, near the left head. The cars serial # is on a spot welded tag on the drivers door forward post (open the door and look on the forward hinge post). Keep us informed as you have created some excitement for all of us. Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X