Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk Carburetor

Hi Guys
    I need some help with a carb replacement for my 1963 GT Hawk, 298 , automatic, A/C, PS car. (Not a supercharged car). I recently bought this Studebaker which was in a garage for nearly 30 years. The neighbors didn't know it existed as they had never seen it. Good buy for me as I was there when the family decided to sell..
    It has 40,000 miles on it. The previous owner was a member of the family who bought it new. Once purchased and brought home, it started with a jump. Brakes are soft but I have receipts that they were rebuilt in 1990 AND the car has the same miles as the receipt!!! Hard to believe that the car was repainted, reupholstered and put in the garage and covered. I bought it. Motor # JT 1792. Door stamp 63V 29474.
    The carb is leaking gas. I need some counsel on the replacement. The research I have done says Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm. as the replacement.
    Do you agree or do you have a different recommendation??
    Many thanks.
    Howard
    Bishop, California
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Howardbishop; 07-21-2019, 10:19 PM.

Wow! Champagne Gold, power steering, power disk brakes. That's quite a car and a great find.

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are new to Studebakers, please do not fall into the trap of thinking they are poorly designed cars. They are actually very well designed and really do not need to be modified with systems from other brands. If you bring the existing systems up to snuff, replace bushing, bearings and such, you will have a well running, well driving car.

I only say this because there is a feeling among people who do not know Studebakers, that the way to fix them is to jury-rig other parts onto them, particularly when it comes to the front suspension.

I agree about the new carburetor that folks are mentioning, however. I have one on my 60 and it runs beautifully.

Most of the problems come from neglect or from previous owners who had more enthusiasm than ability.

Enjoy your Hawk. It's a pretty cool car. How about some more pictures?
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-24-2019, 07:13 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Welcome to the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here and all you have to do is ask for help/advice. It looks like you make an excellent find and more pic's are always encouraged. I noticed the chrome pieces on the engine and I wonder if this is an Avanti engined car? Might you have the production order? If not you can obtain one from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. Good luck and happy motoring, Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Howardbishop View Post
        Hi Guys
        I need some help with a carb replacement for my 1963 GT Hawk, 298 , automatic, A/C, PS car. (Not a supercharged car). I recently bought this Studebaker which was in a garage for nearly 30 years. The neighbors didn't know it existed as they had never seen it. Good buy for me as I was there when the family decided to sell..
        It has 40,000 miles on it. The previous owner was a member of the family who bought it new. Once purchased and brought home, it started with a jump. Brakes are soft but I have receipts that they were rebuilt in 1990 AND the car has the same miles as the receipt!!! Hard to believe that the car was repainted, reupholstered and put in the garage and covered. I bought it.
        The carb is leaking gas. I need some counsel on the replacement. The research I have done says Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm. as the replacement.
        Do you agree or do you have a different recommendation??
        Many thanks.
        Howard
        Bishop, California

Very nice car. 29 years sitting and you may want to go through the consumables. Why not just have your carb gone through? I sent mine out to a rebuilder in Los Angeles and they did a fine job. Good luck!

Comment

Your first photo shows the engine with a chrome air cleaner & valve covers. Although Studebaker offered an engine "dress up kit" it may also indicate the optional Avanti R-1 engine. That can be determined in the STAMPED number on the left front of the engine (to the right looking at the engine from the front of the car). If the engine number starts with the letters JT you have the Avanti engine, however, if it starts with the letter P, that indicates the standard 289 engine. Some members here have the list of serial numbers for the JT equipped cars, so if you like post the serial number from the drivers side door hinge post. Greetings & welcome to the forum!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm getting great counsel here!! I can post more pictures and I will check the numbers...JT.
            I'm a 30 year Mopar car collector...buyer and seller. Great cars from Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler.
            Thank you very much for the encouragement I've received today as a first-time posting.
            I added a couple pictures.
            I am interested in selling it so it may appear in the "for Sale" Forum.
            Anyway....many thanks!!
            Howard
            Last edited by Howardbishop; 07-20-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Would the "dress up kit" have included the re-circulating gas line back to the tank, as indicate at the fuel filter? Looks like a factory R1. What a ride, PS, PB, A/C, 4 speed.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

It's a Powershift car, since it has the floor shifter, and it has the "Avanti Powered" badge on the fender. It's either an original Super Hawk, or a clone. Very nice find!
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

With the additional pic's, I believe Gord hit the nail on the head. It appears to be an R1, powershift, p/s, p/discb, car, which could possibly be a SuperHawk if it has the additional "package" items. Howard if you could find the engine # as suggested previously and the serial # and post them here, maybe one of the guy's that have all the "super" car info could look it up and post the results for you. As stated before the engine # is stamped on the top left corner of the block itself, near the left head. The cars serial # is on a spot welded tag on the drivers door forward post (open the door and look on the forward hinge post). Keep us informed as you have created some excitement for all of us. Bill

Comment

I have a new Edelbrock 1403 in the original box for $350 plus shipping.
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Thank you, Dan White.
                      Let me work on the numbers and get back to you on the 1403.
                      Great support here at this site!
                      Howard
                      Bishop, Ca.

Comment

Thank you Colgate Studebaker!!!!
                        I checked the motor this afternoon. I posted the proof.
                        Its a JT 1792 motor.
                        So....help me out...I'm a beginner with
                        GT Hawks. How many 1963 Super Hawks? Whats in the number?
                        I'm having a ball....thanks to this site and some great information!
                        Best regards
                        Howard
                        Bishop, Ca.

Comment

Just to clarify things a little....A Hawk or Lark factory-equipped with an Avanti engine isn't necessarily a "Super Hawk." The term Super Hawk means one with ALL the Super Hawk high performance equipment. Studebaker sold the Avanti high performance equipment ala carte, or one could order ALL the high performance equipment and that car was called a Super Hawk. I have two '64 Hawks, both with Avanti R1 engines, and neither is a Super Hawk.
                          -Dwight

Comment

As I said above, get the production order from the Museum and that will tell you whether it is a SuperHawk or not. There are a few guys that have the research info on all the Avanti equipped cars, but we'd need one of them to chime in here. Howard, I'd wait on replacing that carb until you find out the true identity of the car. If it is truly a SuperHawk then my suggestion would be to have the original carb professionally rebuilt and use it that way. If you want to sell the car it will have more value with the original equipment vs. replacement. Just my opinion, Bill.

Comment

Thanks Dwight....I have one article specifying the package details. Sway bar in the rear....shocks...disc brakes front....some other things.
                              More checking by me is required, I believe. I think that about 4000 total GT Hawks were built in 1963. I did not see how many were Supercharged, how many super Hawks and how many were standard 289, 2 bbl. In any case...I may take the counsel offered here to rebuild the factory 4bbl carb as that may be important to a buyer.
                              Thank you for the input....feel free to give more as this is my first Studebaker.
                              Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X