I bought another hub puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: I bought another hub puller

My wife and I went to the local flea market today, in the '52 Commander. I bought this...
    It's a Bonney brand slide hammer type and the price was right (cheap). Anybody use one like this and live to tell about it?
    Attached Files
    thom

Not the right type for a Studebaker or any other tapered hub. I had a guy who thought he was a mechanic try to use one of those on my 64 Plymouth. Not good.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      Not the right type for a Studebaker or any other tapered hub. I had a guy who thought he was a mechanic try to use one of those on my 64 Plymouth. Not good.
      X2. That Bonney is an excellent slide hammer puller, just not for Stude tapered axles. However, there are a variety of adapters which can be used with slide hammers.

There exists an adapter, usually called a "front hub puller", the one in the lower right hand of this photo, which would bolt on, but with the predictable result of snatching out the entire axle.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 07-20-2019, 11:31 AM.
      PackardV8

Comment

I have a Calvan puller like that from long ago. it holds the shop door open. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
          I have a Calvan puller like that from long ago. it holds the shop door open. Luck Doofus
          Ha! That gave me a chuckle.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Here is a link from Studebaker Parts

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...eelpuller.html

Russ Ware is very helpful and can provide advice. He and Sharon are great people. I borrowed one of the homemade pullers for my 52 and works great.

Has anyone run on to one of these for sale? Or does anyone in the area have one that Thom can borrow.

BTW, how are you feeling after your recent health situation?

Bob Miles
            Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator
            Last edited by 6hk71400; 07-20-2019, 06:22 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Thanks, I had already bought a puller that should work on the Studebaker. I just bought the one today mostly 'cause I didn't have one like it and it was cheap.
              I'm feeling much better now, after the heart cath. Actually better than I have in weeks. The local forecast is for cooler temps next week so I hope to get caught up on some projects. Thanks for asking.
              thom

Comment

Cut the lug nuts adapter off and weld an axle nut in its place. You will then have an excellent axle puller. I set one up that way several decades ago, and it has pulled many Stude axles.

Comment

Working...
                X