Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Self-adjusting rear brakes: Dana 23

Hi,
    My 59 Lark has the stock rear differential- the Dana 23, with drums on it (almost finished installing discs up front- yay!). Id like to convert the rear drums to self-adjusting instead of having to use the star wheel to adjust it manually myself. Id also like to replace the wheel cylinders while Im at it. So here are my questions:

1) Is there a kit that will convert the manually-adjusted star wheel to self-adjusting?
    2) What wheel cylinders do I need for replacements? I cant find the part number?

Thanks in advance

Creegster

If you look at the later brakes, around 62 -63 or so, they added self adjusters to the existing brake system. A casual glance at the parts catalog looks like those parts would be simple add-ons, but it would be good to study that in depth.

The wheel cylinders should be stock for your 59 car. Did your car come with a V-8 or a six?

studebakervendors.com
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks Roy-

I have a V8.

Comment

The self adjusting brake shoes on the 1963/64 cars were drilled and tapped to hold the pivot.

Comment

Working...
        X