Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Pick up tube problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Pick up tube problems

FRIENDS:

If you followed the posts on "FUEL PHANTOM" 1,2,3 - I am glad to report the
    fuel pump issue is solved.

I have a pick up tube issue - with 1/4 tank going up a hill, the car will CONK OUT!
    sucks air and is fuel starved. I pulled sending unit off and looked in tank (which
    had been redone by prior owner) It appears there is but a 3 inch tube that curves towards the center, thus when
    fuel is at the back on a hill the tube is sucking air. HAS ANYONE ORDERED A NEW REPLACEMENT TANK
    MFG BY STEVEN ALLEN ? HAS ANYONE SEEN WHAT THAT PICK UP TUBE LOOKS LIKE.

It appears I need to replace my tank

Thanks Keith
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

I have one of Stephen Allens tanks in the wifes 57 silver hawk. it is exactly like the late model hawk tank with pick up tube in bottom front of tank. original tank has pick up tube running to about midway of tank bottom. question, how does electric fuel pump pick up fuel on hill's with stubby PU tube to help mech pump? Luck Doofus

Comment

I'm sure you are relieved to have found the problem. Less than skillful modifications by previous owners can cause all sorts of trouble.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Doofus...I just ordered the tank this. Morning

sigpic

Comment

Actually even with the crushed fuel lines"....t worked...you had to put it on when pressure dropped
          Ps I was able to put a pressure gauge in the car...great move

sigpic

Comment

My 1956 Power Hawk has the sending unit with incorporated pick up tube and have never had an issue with air infiltration with a low fuel level over the past fifty plus years. I have suffered the dreaded pin holes in the tank bottom but thanks to the overall tank structural integrity, that was satisfied with a simple cleaning, titanium putty applied to the exterior as required and application of Red Kote to the tanks innards...

Comment

I hope i'm wrong but,,, both pumps draw fuel through stubby PU tube. when car starts to "Conk Out", flipping on the electric pump gets you to hill top, still drawing thru stubby PU. something is not right. still guessing weak mech. pump on the suck side. hope you prove something else 'cause i;m baffeled! Still, Luck Doofus

Comment

If your gas sloshes to the back up the hill with a short pick up tube, you cannot suck any gas
                i think it is the pick up tube and it is a brand new mech pump from Stude West... I trust them! anyway, I am replacing the tank
                I will look at my old tank, put in a proper pick up tube and sell it
                I am told you cannot get the pick up tube incorporated with the sending unit as in the 1956 model
                The connection here is at the bottom of the tank

Keith

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X