1957 Delco-2745 Trying To Get Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1957 Delco-2745 Trying To Get Working

Trying to get my radio working on my 1957 Broadmoor. The unit has power and lights up fine and the speaker unit does too. I can hear the vibrator going but with the antenna fully extended and the antenna wire plugged firmly into the back of the radio, I am not getting any stations. Any suggestions on what to check on before I pull the unit and mail it off somewhere? I noticed there are some tubes in the speaker unit section. Should I try randomly replacing them?

Chances are some of the components like the capacitors may have failed or need replacement in any case as they're now 62 years old.

Randomly changing tubes which may be fine is just wasting time.

I suggest you securely pack your unit, bubblewrap it, good packing between the radio and box so Its protected if the box is dropped and preferably place all the above inside a larger well packed box as protection then ship to a competent repair business. You could also get it upgraded to today's technology whilst it appears original in your dash.

RadioRoy could likely advise you further.

Best of luck with it.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I've rebuilt many of those radios over the years and very rarely is a tube causing a problem. Some of the tubes may be weak from years of use, but that won't stop the radio, but bad caps and out of tolerance resistors will. Do not continue to try to get the radio to work as you risk the chance of damaging expensive and hard to replace parts like the power transformer. If Roy can't do the repair work for you, I would be happy to do it. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
        I noticed there are some tubes in the speaker unit section. Should I try randomly replacing them?
        Randomly replacing parts is a favorite activity of many forum members and visitors alike.

Seriously, do you hear any crackle or hum from the speaker?

If you decide to send it off to someone for repair, please do them the favor of sending it off BEFORE poking around in it and possibly damaging it beyond reasonable hope of repair.

Most things that break can be fixed, but someone with more enthusiasm than knowledge can often render things unrepairable or FUBAR.

As Bud said, the problem is almost never just tubes.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-17-2019, 04:16 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hello Roy, I sent you an email. Are you still repairing radios?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Bud, thank you.

Comment

Yes, speaker hums Roy
            Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Randomly replacing parts is a favorite activity of many forum members and visitors alike.

Seriously, do you hear any crackle or hum from the speaker?

If you decide to send it off to someone for repair, please do them the favor of sending it off BEFORE poking around in it and possibly damaging it beyond reasonable hope of repair.

Most things that break can be fixed, but someone with more enthusiasm than knowledge can often render things unrepairable or FUBAR.

As Bud said, the problem is almost never just tubes.

Comment

A bad 0Z4 tube can stop a radio.

Comment

Originally posted by graylark View Post
                A bad 0Z4 tube can stop a radio.
                True, but if an OZ4 was bad, the speaker would not hum. Something else is going on in this radio.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I agree with Roy, the 0Z4 is still functioning if you have a hum in the speaker along with a functioning vibrator. Even if you find a tube that has failed and the radio starts working, the caps and resistors are most likely the originals and are now 60+ years old. It isn't a question if the radio will fail but when it will fail possibly causing expensive damage to hard to find expensive parts. If you aren't experienced in old radio repair and have the proper tools and test equipment available, then it is a good idea to find someone that can do a proper restoration. You are also dealing with high voltages in tube equipment when it is in operation that under certain circumstances can be lethal if you come in contact with it. Bud

Comment

I was responding to a previous response that said a weak tube or tubes wouldn't kill a radio.

Comment

Thank you to all. The radio and speaker assembly are boxed up and heading to Roy on Monday.

Comment

I thought Roy closed up shop?

He rebuilt the radio in my ‘51 Commander a few months back. Came back better than new.

Comment

Geez, I hope that is just a rumor of Roy closing shop. He does top notch work and I want him to convert the radio for my Hawk. Roy, if you see this please confirm to us all your business status. Thanks, Bill.

Comment

You guys just reminded me of my first experience with a Fly-back transformer on a TV........ Knocked me across the room when I was 15.....LOL

Comment

Good thing it was a fly-back set and not a static deflection 7" CRT with an oscillator High voltage power supply. Those can be lethal.

Comment

Working...
                              X