Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 58 Packard golden hawk tach hook up

hello,
    can anyone advise me where the 2 wires on the tach cable hook to?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Mine did not have any extra wires. Get out the VOM and see if it may be IGN wire.

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...6tachwire.html
      Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

thanks Dwain,

but I am a little confused as the diagram refers to both wires being black when mine are 1 black and 1 red. I assume the read would run to the ignition switch?

Comment

also, what is the difference if I hook it to the positive side of the coil or the ignition switch?

Comment

The way I see the wiring instructions, those two wires should be at the tach end of the cable, not at the engine. You may want to reverse the cable. I have a Stewart-Warner instruction page that says red wire to ignition and black wire to ground (opposite for positive ground) but to be safe do a continuity check with an ohmmeter before connecting anything.
            You shouldn't connect to the coil + because that terminal is not getting full battery voltage. I suppose you could connect to the 12 volt side of the ballast. The ground wire is supposed to connect to the dash bracket. That assumes there is a good body ground in place. You might need to add one.
            Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

Working...
            X