No announcement yet.

Angle & vibrations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I removed a driveshaft from a 1964 Commander to replace the "U" joints and had bad vibration afterwards. I took the "U joint loose again and I rotated the shaft 180 degrees and installed the "U" joint again and the vibration was gone.

Comment

Wow, the US prices sure are lower BIGtime! Still; I'm gonna visit my fav workshop-&-also-speedshop tomorrow to see what they say...

About turning the shaft half-a-turn with the joint still in the shaft; since I've had it appart now I don't remember how it was fitted before but I might be lucky, sure hope so!

(Today was a day when I didn't even go near Josephine, had to support Sonja's windowframe-instal & move + extend the puppies own yard. No picture of the yard-work thou.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1728996
      Now it's only the rest do be done... there's nothing behind the planks, just air so we're adding some stuff while we're at it & the lowest part from the top of the windows (that's gona be replaced too) are gona have different planking & become white to flow with the buildings on eash side, kinda like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nya Laduvæggen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1728997)
      Enough off topic for today!
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Nothing new so far here & I'm not gonna go on more about the barn wall work, it's way worse than I thought... (Just imagen a brick wall on top of a wooden plank laying flat on earth & then on top of this 1 meter high brick wall another wooden plank, also rotten, & another brick wall on top of that!) & the puppies are growing, funny how different they are in way of behaving, such personalities!
        Anyway, barnwork & dogs have kept me away from Josephine bigtime, but a thought hit me yesterday: I'm gonna contact a pal over in the US to buy & send me shims, otherwise this is gonna go on forever.
        Last edited by Noxnabaker; 08-15-2019, 01:11 PM.
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Been in contact with my US (originaly Canadian) friend & he's at it but it takes ages, busy as he is. Connected the rev-counter instead & got me a Hurst shifter:
          (Not installed yet, just feeling it!)
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Oh, allmost forgot the off-topic's:
            (The bricks on top by the door are replaced now & there's balks above the window openings, & meet Carmenzita, the gal we kept!)

Attached Files
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

On Topic:
              First I thought I'd go for the ones that Junior sugested but later on I found I wanted the ones with hole instead of a slot, it feel like the slot would / could / might glide out... So I went for Sweet Old Bob's Summit sugestion instead, this one:
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                On Topic:
                First I thought I'd go for the ones that Junior sugested but later on I found I wanted the ones with hole instead of a slot, it feel like the slot would / could / might glide out... So I went for Sweet Old Bob's Summit sugestion instead, this one:
                Nox...I wondered if the slotted ones would walk-out too so I put some witness marks on the spring pads and springs and they have not moved at all in 8 years they have been in there...manual transmission and more than a few spirited clutch-drop starts and they're all good. cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Okidoki, good to know! But now my pal has already orderd the ones with holes.
                  (Off topic: doing the shifter linkage now, easy with just one rod + already a small platform with a hole in on side of the gearbox (see arrow),
                  only recuired one more drilled hole, but mighty tight under there because I put the silencers as far forward as possible to avoid resonance that always apears on sb MoPars around 45-50 m/h.)
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

A week ago Sonja's Subaru had to go to the Subaru doctor (some stuff is way to horrible for me to work on as it's a modern car) & I had to lower Josephine from her stands & get Ozzian from school... I have taken down most of the exhaust system so the pipes ended before the rear axel & WOW!!! that is LOUD inside!
                    Anyway; the pinion angle is still the same & the vibrations are still there / here.
                    (By now I've also fetched him 2 times from school & gonna drive him there tomorrow, he hates it...)
                    So: the vibrations are still there & shims are welcome.
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                    X