Hooking Up Defroster Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Hooking Up Defroster Only

I want to hook up my defroster only, not the heater. Is there a reducer which will let me join the hoses from the water pump to the smaller hoses which go to the defroster?...

Auto parts stores have all sorts of hose adapters. If you can find a good one, they should have what you need.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't forget the local hardware and big box stores. Ace and Menard's locally carry a ton of brass and iron fittings. Home Depot has some selection but not as good as the other's and usually higher prices.

Bob

Comment

Any copper pipe/tube reducer from the plumbing supply at your local ACE hardware would work. Much cheaper than brass.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Don't expect a lot from the defroster. It's design is not like the ones in modern cars.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I take it that the DEFROSTER Switch is 2 speed? And thank you ALL for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              Don't expect a lot from the defroster. It's design is not like the ones in modern cars.
              That's true. Much of the defroster's heat is derived from the cabin heat that is circulated back through the defroster.

And yes; the defroster fan should operate on two speeds.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

This is how I did it, house copper water-piping
                & shorter hoses:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	942.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1728772
                (Josephine also can run on LPG, that's why the round stuff in the corner, that has to be heated, & no; it's no Studebaker engine.)
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

Looks like a Mopar? -Jim

Comment

SI shows one in their catalog #198653, 59 - 62 @ $24.00 it is 1/2" through with a 3/8" "T". My54 also has the same "T". The heater gets its energy from a water heated coil. I can remember in the day with a frosted windshield and looking through a 6" hole most of the way to work, thank goodness for modern defrosters. The air conditioning pump is an integral part of modern defrosters, the system dries the air before it reaches the cold windshield. Unfortunately that system was not available with Studebakers, the best you could get was moist hot air. One Ford car I had was equipped with fusible link in the water control valve if the system became over heated with super hot steam the valve would close to avoid any injury.

Comment

To replace the rusted out stock "T" fitting in the heater hose that goes up to the defroster, I bought brass "T" fittings that fit the 5/8" heater hose with the "T" for the 3/8" defroster hose at Home Depot for under $3 each. They were for PEX plastic plumbing tubes. I'd bet they have a fitting that will simply splice the 5/8" heater hose to the 3/8" defroster hose too.

Comment

Yes Jim, it's a 318 MoPar, Studebaker V8's are few here & mostly in cars...
                        Inside I made my own box with fan from some strange heater from an old van:

Name:	00050.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1728784

Name:	00053.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1728785
                        sigpic

Josephine