Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

The fuel phantom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jIM.. I can turn electric on and off at will so it can be bypassed anytime... Fuel pressure will start out 6-7-8 and then decrease to 4 and car will perform poorly
    Switch on electric and car runs fine. This is a "new" pump from Studebakers West... I will see if they rebuilt it and perhaps change it out but we pressure checked it
    and it was performing as expected....
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

Comment

I am suggesting the metal fuel line it self not just the pickup in the tank, check it for pin holes. You can check the fuel pump by inserting the suction inlet into some solvent and hand operating the lever and it should squirt liquid at least 6 feet. Try the soapy water test.

Comment

Boost reference? At 4lbs boost, 4lbs of fuel pressure becomes zero. Right? I'm not sure of the Stude's opperation .
        sigpic

Comment

I once had a 55 President that had the fuel line crushed were it crossed under the frame it was very hard to notice. The car ran fine at idle and for afew miles then would act as if it ran out of gas. Just another maybe good luck.

Comment

By "bypass" we meen disconnect the lines from the pump and connect them together!-Jim

Comment

Did it have problems before you adjusted the float? You said it was too high. Maybe it was adjusted high to try to overcome your problem.

Comment

The steel lines are intact

sigpic

Comment

the manual pump was not functioning and was replaced
                  the car was operating only on the electric pump
                  when the new functioning manual pump was installed then i started to have these problems

sigpic

Comment

How much supercharger boost pressure do you have when the car starves for fuel? Is the fuel pump to supercharger pressure line hooked up and clear?
                    Check manual pump output volume with the engine running.
                    Studebaker driver since 1971
                    59 Lark
                    59 4X4
                    62 E45
                    64 E15
                    64 E35

Comment

Ross what would be a model pulse type pump...I am not sure what mine is

Keith

sigpic

Comment

I can get up to 5psi when the car is floored
                        I am not getting any boost when starved
                        Fuel pump to supercharger is hooked up.. I would have to take the line off to check for clear
                        How do you check manual pump output with engine running?

sigpic

Comment

Fuel phantom respons

Originally posted by studediesel View Post
                          how much supercharger boost pressure do you have when the car starves for fuel? Is the fuel pump to supercharger pressure line hooked up and clear?
                          Check manual pump output volume with the engine running.
                          with car floored i get 5# boost
                          i do not know pressure at starvation
                          fuel pump line to super charger is hooked up
                          have not pulled it off to see if clear
                          how do you check manual pump ooutput with engine running

sigpic

Comment

Fuel phantom 2 electric fuel pump set up

Does everyone agree with the set up shown in the attached diagram for the electric fuel pump
                            i presume this diagram references a solenoid for the red line going to the manifold vacuum switch

thanks
                            keith
                            Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Fuel pressure needs to increase as boost increases or the boost will decrease or stop the fuel flow.
                              To check fuel flow the easiest way is to disconnect the fuel line from the carb. and put a piece of fuel hose over it and run the hose into a clear bottle. 1 qt. or larger.
                              Start the engine (it should run on the fuel in the carb for a minute or so) The fuel pump should pump about a quart per minute. So a cup in 15 seconds or 2 cups in 30 seconds. may be a little more or less.
                              If your carb is in the little GH air box with the steel line it would be easier to disconnect at the pump and put a barbed fitting on the pump with a 3foot piece of hose to put in the bottle.
                              If fuel flow seems low you could also test it with the electric pump on.
                              Once some fuel gets in the bottle you can submerge the fuel line in the fuel and look for air bubbles in the fuel---would indicate a suction leak on the inlet side.
                              Just some thoughts---when you run the electric pump pressure is higher which slightly raises the fuel level in the fuel bowl. A leak on the inlet side will decrease flow.
                              Boost pressure can overcome pump pressure if the pump is not receiving boost pressure. As you start up a hill the engine need more fuel, both as volume and the air-fuel ratio.
                              The electric pump when not running could be causing a restriction for the mechanical pump.
                              Studebaker driver since 1971
                              59 Lark
                              59 4X4
                              62 E45
                              64 E15
                              64 E35

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                                It sounds like your mechanical pump is having a hard time drawing fuel through the electric pump.
                                I believe Brad's advise is going unnoticed. Mechanical fuel pumps can only draw fuel from a tank if the line is clear. I do not think any mechanical pump was designed to suck fuel through a restrictive electric pump.

Here is one "prpoper way" to combine the two pumps.

In this case the mechanical pump draw fuel in the normal path, unrestricted..

If the electric pump is active, the check valve will prevent back flow to the tank and force the fuel to the mechanical pump.

If you have the electric pump in-line, i.e., where the check valve is, You may have created the phantom..

On the right is the R1/2 fuel pump. I am guessing you have the much smaller fuel pump the GH had.
                                The diaphragm on the R pumps were bigger than the standard GH fuel pump.

Even the original R fuel pump has only one small input valve, and one small output valve.

The performance pumps uses two input valves and one output valve to help suck the fuel harder from the tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3144.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1728792

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-16_21-54-14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1728791
                                Last edited by SScopelli; 07-16-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X