Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

The fuel phantom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The outer dia. is how the tube is measured. 5/16" o.d. is usual for most cars, 3/8" is usually high performance. If you look at the fittings on most mech. fuel pumps and also most common automotive electric pumps, they are tapped 1/8" npt. The h/p fuel pumps usually are tapped 1/4" npt. My 425 c.i. Buick with dual 4bbls and my 409 c.i. Chev. with dual 4 bbls. both had 5/16" fuel lines. The Golden Hawk "blower box" I have has 1/8" npt for the fuel line connections, so, I think it had 5/16" fuel lines. One exception is cars with G.M. Q-jet carbs, if I remember right, had 3/8" fuel lines. If your fuel pump only has 1/8" npt, you won't gain much by using 3/8" tubing.- Jim

Comment

"Brand new" pump is likely the problem. They DO NOT WORK!!! The original Carter pump can be rebuilt by a Studebaker vendor or Terrill Machine but a new replacement pump WILL NOT WORK.

Comment

Don’t forget to check the fuel filler vent pipe too. Spiders love to nest in that!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
          If you look at the fittings on most mech. fuel pumps and also most common automotive electric pumps, they are tapped 1/8" npt.
          Also if you look at the through hole in those 1/8 pipe fittings they can be quite small. It seems like older ones have larger holes than newer ones do. I've drilled many out as much as reasonable, to make their ID as close to the bore of the tube as possible.
          sigpic

Comment

thanks Jim we will check it
            The current thinking is there may be a problem with the pick up tube
            When I switch on the electic pump which runs at 8-10 on my pressure gauge, car runs fine..but I know that is not correct

- - - Updated - - -

Good thoughts ben sherb
            If you want to ride with the Big Dog
            ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
            Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
            Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

Comment

This whole story is not unlike the new electronics today, an engine light displays a problem and the chase is on to find it, the computer says it is the O2 sensor and it gets replaced with a new one only to have the light come on again, replace the O2 sensor again. After some unkind words to the mechanic and a deeper more intense look it was determined the fuel pressure regulator was faulty and delivering excessive fuel and therefore the O2 sensor was not faulty it was operating outside its range and therefore displayed fault. Different vehicle similar problem 3 O2 sensors replaced and after some unkind words to the dealership it was finally determined that it was the exhaust gas recirculator was the fault. It appears that we are still chasing problems as we were in the past sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and there is still some difficulty separating fuel from electrical problems.

Comment

Jeff Pump came frrom studebakers west and was tested by them!!

sigpic

Comment

Altair, we will look in the tank to see if there is an obvious problem with the pick up tube
                  we will check all the hard lines and as a good measure replace the rubber fuel lines even though they look good
                  we will check the pressure on the fuel pump which was brand new and sent to me by Studebakers West.. I trust them implicitly

Did I miss anything.,.,., AGAIN I repeat with my electric pump the car is running fine.. However i should not need to run it
                  I might add the prior owner had 2 manual fuel pumps and had to use the electric as the fuel source. He had no problems
                  He also Had the tank pulled out and boiled out..
                  He was not having problems with hills but remember he always used the electric pump

sigpic

Comment

Try hooking up a small gas tank directly to the fuel pump. See if problem goes away. That will tell you if the problem is before or after the fuel pump.

Comment

Hi Keith, is "your pressure" gage on the dash, or only plumbed in with car car parked and the hood open ?

Comment

It sounds like your mechanical pump is having a hard time drawing fuel through the electric pump.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bypass the elec. pump and see what happens!-Jim

Comment

Is your electric pump a pulse type or a rotary? I have encountered several instances where the mechanical pump has difficulty drawing sufficient fuel through a rotary pump. The pulse types are generally a non issue.

Comment

The fuel pressure gauge is a separate gauge with a separate sending unit hooked directly to the inlet of the carburetor.
                              The electric pump can be switched on and off at will. It seems the car runs fine with a PSI of 8 to 10 with the electric pump

sigpic

Comment

Try this. bypass the mech. pump and run on the electric only for a run in the hills. there are 3 tests for a mech. pump pressure,suction and volume! in my younger years i tested many a new pump that had failed the suction or volume test. give the electric a shot and go from there. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                                X