289 Front Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 Front Seal

1959 Lark, 289 has a front seal leaking. Is the only seal the original felt one, or is there a replacement neoprene seal available?
    Did a search and didn't come up with anything.
    Thanks in advance for any info. Not my car. Asking for a friend. He seems to be getting the runaround by several mechanics.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

I have used probably four of the neoprene seal conversions that Ingvar Vik and his son do at their machine shop. I highly recommend this mod. I believe his contact info is in Turning Wheels.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I believe Fairborn Studebaker sells a seal kit.

Comment

I believe that Mark Frank, (MD Engine Service), produces a conversion option featuring a modern seal. He was originally located in Bruceville, TX but I think that he has completed his move to Lampases, TX. He is reasonable and reliable...

Comment

Raylin restorations used to have instructions, and part numbers on their site. Went to find it, and it is no longer there. Anybody out there have it archived? I had planned on doing it at a later date.

Comment

I used the Raylin instructions but have only retained a paper copy. The instructions for a neoprene seal found here on Bob Jonstone's site are nearly the same, only differing in the method of reducing the installed height of the seal. http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...2/oilseal.html

Comment

Here's a copy of the Raylin page: https://web.archive.org/web/20150628...imingSeal.html
              3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Thanks for posting the Raylin archive. I thought I had it saved in favorites, but it was only their home page.

Comment

I have forwarded all the posts to the car owner so he can make a decision and converse with the mechanics with some facts to make his point.
                  Thanks, everyone.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

A timely post as I plan to replace the front seal in my 259 at the end of the driving season. Thanks for the links to the pictures! I've been putting it off for a couple of years. Ok, I've been putting it off for 4 years. There, you happy?

In my defense I need to remove the radiator to get at the front of the engine. That's the price you pay for shoe-horning a V8 into an M5.

Comment

Working...
                    X