1962 Hawk Automatic Transmission Floor Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1962 Hawk Automatic Transmission Floor Shift

Has anyone had experience using '63-'64 power floor shift on an earlier model Hawk? The transmission is a Flight-O-Matic used from '58-'64. I'm told it will not work; if so why not? Thanks, Chet

The Power Shift Floor module(stick, shifter rods, switches, etc) can be installed and hooked up the the trans, but the "not working" part is that the Shift indicator will show PRND21, instead of PNDLR. Internally, the '62 gearing detent will only have 5 positions over the range of the quadrant instead of 6. When you pull it back out of Park into Neutral, the shift indicator will be somewhere between PRN. Into Drive, the indicator will be somewhere between RND, etc. See the picture?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yes. The various indicator positions are different on '63 - '64 than on my transmission. Thanks for the clarification. Chet

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
        Yes. The various indicator positions are different on '63 - '64 than on my transmission. Thanks for the clarification. Chet
        Just to make it clear...... Only the 1963-64 Power Shift transmission has the "PRND21" shift indicators, and it is the only floor-shift A/T on Studebakers. The column-shift automatic transmissions all have "PNDLR" shift indicators. (Qualifier: I don't know about Studebaker's automatic transmissions in the earlier 1950s.)
        -Dwight

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but the Power Shift transmissions are not thick on the ground, are they? I'm only asking because that first-year start is quite desirable.
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I assume you mean "first-gear start." The Power Shift, like the Flight-O-Matic, starts in second gear when starting out in D. But, I usually go 1-2-D with my Power Shift, so use all 3 gears.

No, the Power Shift transmissions are not thick on the ground. Larks, Hawks, & Avantis all offered it in 1963-64.
            -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Thanks for catching my typo, Dwight. I didn't realize that the Power Shift also started in second gear. That's what I get for assuming.
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The Power Shift trans. can be converted to first-gear start in D, but I'm not familiar with the work & parts needed. That process has been discussed on this SDC Forum.
                -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Working...
                X