1952 2R5 Truck Column Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1952 2R5 Truck Column Shift

I'm unable to maneuver the shift lever except 2nd and high. I disconnected the transmission linkage and the problem persists; cannot find low or reverse using the lever. I think is has to do with the top portion immediately below the steering column as it somewhat loose. Ideas would be appreciated. Chet445

When the shift lever is in neutral, will it travel up and down - the cross over in the H pattern? It might help to have someone looking under the hood to where the shift mechanism resides to see if anything is happening down there. I have never had one of those shift mechanisms apart, but others have and will chime in.

Comment

The lever does not move up or down as if to put in reverse or low. It only moves 2nd to high; you can't pull it up so to go to low.

Comment

The piece that the end of shift lever fits into is threaded in the housing. The threads have worn out and has dropped down. Need to remove the steering wheel and replace to replace the part. I can get the part # tomorrow. Might have a used one. Will check.

Comment

one thing you might check is the little "box" at the bottom of the column under the hood. There's a shop manual procedure that helps.
          It may be jammed in between and won't allow a an up/or down movement shift. I've had that problem.

Also, once you get it straightened out, it is prudent to replace the rubber bushings on the side of the tranny, as those can play havoc as well.

There may be even a youtube on this thing, as they were common in the 50's.

If i remember right, the best way is to disconnect the tranny levers at the tranny (cotter pins) and put the tranny in neutral by hand at the tranny (follow your safety steps). Then pull the plug on the top of the little shift-box near the steering gearbox and check it out per the shop manual.

Comment

DieselJim you are correct as the threads at the top are shot. The shaft threads are great but the "retainer" at the top was a pot metal type and worn out. Please let me know if you have parts. Thanks, Chet

Comment

I have a complete used one in good shape. Check your private message.

Comment

now that's a new one...

Comment

I went back into the archives and in 2008 someone also had my problem; comment was his would not shift because at the top beneath the steering wheel was too loose/sloppy. I have completely cleaned the lower housing and no problems are evident. DieselJim has the top part coming my way!

Comment

Good! Glad to hear that one is sorted.

Comment

Being a third-generation C-cab owner, those who've put years and mile on them know this to be a chronic failure point. Those owning a column shift C-cab should have that part on the shelf; they'll need it eventually. Anyone with a truck parts book at hand might furnish the part number so those likely to need it can put that on their wish liist.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X