Delco window type 8 cylinder distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Delco window type 8 cylinder distributor

Can any one please display a picture or accurate diagram of a Delco window type distributor for a 61 259 with #1 hole clearly labelled? I know the firing order. Every diagram I have found shows number one in the middle at the front. But my distributor has a hole on either side of the middle. Which one is #1?
    Last edited by oldguy_46ca; 07-09-2019, 09:26 AM.

Originally posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
    Can any one please display a picture or accurate diagram of a Delco window type distributor for a 61 259 with #1 hole clearly labelled? I know the firing order. Every diagram I have found shows number one in the middle at the front. But my distributor has a hole on either side of the middle. Which one is #1?
    I found this image for a Chevy. Is the Studebaker the same?Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevrolet-Impala-5.7-1972-3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1728734

Comment

Studebaker rotates counterclockwise. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Comment

OK, thanks. Now which hole is#1?

Comment

OK, thanks. Now which hole is#1?
          Odd cylinders are on the left and even on the right - numbered as above - putting #1 left front up next the battery. Good luck.

Comment

Mine falls in the middle like the diagrams that you found. If the distributor is dropped in one tooth off it could be to the right or lrft of middle. The middle is just the normal spot. Number one could be any location on the cap, depending on where it was dropped into the block, with number one piston on firing position.

Comment

As you look at the engine from the front, the distributor is at the back and the odd cylinders would be on your right and even on the left wouldn't they be?

Comment

I guess I'll be pulling plug number 1 and getting that piston to TDC and noting where the rotor points.

Comment

As you look at the engine from the front, the distributor is at the back and the odd cylinders would be on your right and even on the left wouldn't they be?
                  Left and right are as viewed from the driver's seat.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I guess I'll be pulling plug number 1 and getting that piston to TDC and noting where the rotor points.
                    When you are close to TDC, look to see where the IGN is on the crank - when it lines up with the timing point, the rotor should be pointing directly at the #1 plug. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. This is all because I naively thought there would only be one possible position for the #1 wire and that it would be in the owner's manual or readily available on some spec sheet. The old cap had all the wires positioned correctly but I pulled them out without making note of their positions.

Comment

The old cap had all the wires positioned correctly but I pulled them out without making note of their positions.
                        Look at it as a learning experience. The next thing you disassemble, you will pay closer attention.

The best way is to place the new cap next to the old cap and replace one plug wire at a time.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Always great to ask questions and get the information.

My first Studebaker was in college with a 62 V8. I thought I would be smart and do a tune up on my own. When I tried to start it, it kicked, back fired and did nothing close to starting. My step-father came out in the drive way to see what was wrong. When I told him that I had put the spark plug wires on in order - 1-4 down the left bank, and 5-8 down the right, he almost swallowed his cigar because he was laughing so hard...

Lots of extremely knowledgeable people (minus yours truly) here to answer questions, so ask freely. Good luck.

Comment

Please remember that Stude distributors turn counter clockwise.
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Instead of left and right we should use passenger side and driver side, like starboard and port. Though please note: this was not my issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X