Solid Reach Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Solid Reach Rod

I am tossing the P/S on the rusty '63 Lark and as such need to replace the reach rod with a manual unit to eliminate excess play in the system. Can I do this without a new pitman arm/bell crank?

I want the simplest solution to this one way final trip car.

TIA

You will need both the Pitman Arm and the Reach Rod, the Bellcrank could be used as is even though it is different than the manual Steering one, after removing the P/S Ram from it.

Have you ran the engine with P/S functioning? Some or all of the "Play" will be taken up with the Hydraulic action.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Not sure how different the 63's vs. the 59, but when I removed the power steering from my Lark, I just needed to change the reach rod.
      No bell crank change, no Pitman arm change.
      No more leaking oil...from THAT...location..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You will need both the Pitman Arm and the Reach Rod, the Bellcrank could be used as is even though it is different than the manual Steering one, after removing the P/S Ram from it.

Have you ran the engine with P/S functioning? Some or all of the "Play" will be taken up with the Hydraulic action.

Thanks Rich... The "extra play" due to the non functioning PS is exactly why I asked the question and I expected that both, the pitman arm and reach rod would need to be changed out to make it a viable manual steering car which I am fully content with.

I'll be looking for a set of good used items for the rusty Cruiser's final "voyage."

Comment

I drove from TX to MA with my PS belt removed......1500 miles on the highway.....no problem...(64' Lark)

Comment

I may have the parts but so will Barry Hackney and he is in TX.
            sigpic
            Claude Chmielewski
            Studeski
            http://www.studeski.com
            Fillmore, Wisconsin
            47 M-16 Truck
            53 Commander Regal HT
            53 2R5
            60 Lark VIII Convertible
            60 5E7 Champ pickup
            62 5E7 Champ no box
            62 GT Hawk 4 speed
            63 Lark VI parts car
            63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
            64 Commander Wagonaire
            64 Daytona Convertible
            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
            36 Dictator
            36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Hi GrumpyOne- I have sent you a PM.
              Steve

Comment

Yes, the Pittman arm will have to be replaced as it has a ball end on it that goes into the socket in the control valve. From what I've read it may be necessary to remove the engine to get enough clearance to pull the Pittman arm off the sector shaft. Different models will have varying amounts of clearance.
                Roger List
                Roger W. List
                Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Roger L. View Post
                  Yes, the Pittman arm will have to be replaced as it has a ball end on it that goes into the socket in the control valve. From what I've read it may be necessary to remove the engine to get enough clearance to pull the Pittman arm off the sector shaft. Different models will have varying amounts of clearance.
                  Roger List

Heh, a small application of heat will have the pittman arm flying off. I'm a strong believer in the laws of physics!

Comment

Working...
                  X