Oil gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Oil gauge

I was wondering is there a way of fixing a gauge? When the engine is cold the gauge works but as the engine oil heats up it stops and reads zero. Tap on the glass the needle comes up for a while. Thanks

Uh, every Studebaker I can think of has a mechanical direct-reading gage except those of course with warning lights. So what you are probably seeing is low hot oil pressure with the some needle lag from old age. Might want to plumb another gage into the system and see what you've got. Otherwise, all that can go wrong with those things , excepting catastrophic failure where your shoes get oiled, is a plugged sending line.
    Last edited by Ross; 07-06-2019, 03:00 AM.

Comment

What does it read when the oil is cold? It's common for the pressure to drop 20 psi when it gets hot. I agree, if you don't trust it add another gauge to verify pressure.

Comment

It jumps up to 40 half way. Then it eventually drops to zero. If you tap on the glass it comes up around the quarter mark.i replaced that rubber hose ,and the line to the oil pump is clear but I'm not sure of the line running up to the gauge. I'm leaning towards the gauge being faulty or plugged because it's been like this since I got it on the road 3 or 4 years ago.

Comment

This quiz got me wondering about if there should be oil in the line to make proper pressure? So if one has replaced the rubber hose, pipe or gaughe; how does one get oil up in it again...?
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by bruin View Post
            It jumps up to 40 half way. Then it eventually drops to zero. If you tap on the glass it comes up around the quarter mark.i replaced that rubber hose ,and the line to the oil pump is clear but I'm not sure of the line running up to the gauge. I'm leaning towards the gauge being faulty or plugged because it's been like this since I got it on the road 3 or 4 years ago.
            I'd definitely install another gauge just to double check the pressure. 40psi when cold is a bit low, but dropping to zero is bad. If I remember right the spec for hot oil pressure at idle is 23psi for the V8. Mine runs at 27 hot at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              This quiz got me wondering about if there should be oil in the line to make proper pressure? So if one has replaced the rubber hose, pipe or gaughe; how does one get oil up in it again...?
              It's not an issue Nox, it fills up by itself in short order.

Comment

Working...
              X