Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

51 DG-200 - Do I need special tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 51 DG-200 - Do I need special tools?

I have recently acquired a shop manual for the early DG auto transmissions. I see there is a special alignment tool for installing the TC and another for installing the transmission. Are these special tools required to do the job or are there other ways to achieve the desired result?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

I hope for the DG250 it is the same procedure than for the DG200.
    If you only want to change or remove/install the transmission, no special tool is required.
    Only if you want to remove and install the TC, you need a special tool to center the TC during installation. There is an alternative procedure to align the TC without a special tool. Unfortunately I can't find the link to the procedure at the moment.
    This is for the DG250, but I guess it is the same for the DG200.

Martin
    Last edited by gsx_martin; 07-03-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Just bumping this back to the front of the line to see if anyone else has any helpful insight.

Thanks,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
      Jim Mann
      Victoria, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

I believe Martin is correct. There are several good DG mechanics on this forum who may pipe up here but the special tool would make installing the TC faster and easier. Without it you need some advice. As for the transmission, it should be a simple matter of getting it aligned and level with the TC and then sliding it in. Stay tuned. I'm sure more advice will be coming.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Here's some info
          http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...g200x0217.html
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The Trans. input shaft will center itself in the opening in the Converter Housing when the Trans. is bolted up, then if you leave the Flex Plate to Converter Bolts slightly loose rotating the engine and converter full circle will center the Converter and then the bolts in the Flex Plate can be tightened.

This procedure on any DG is no different from the Flight-O-Matic Borg Warner.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It sounds to me that the special tools were a means to speed up the process of installing the TC and transmission and not strictly ‘required’. It looks like I’ll be pulling the transmission myself, taking it to be rebuilt, then reinstalling it myself. I think I now know what is required to do this procedure.
              Thanks
              Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
              Jim Mann
              Victoria, B.C.
              Canada

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
                It sounds to me that the special tools were a means to speed up the process of installing the TC and transmission and not strictly ‘required’. It looks like I’ll be pulling the transmission myself, taking it to be rebuilt, then reinstalling it myself. I think I now know what is required to do this procedure.
                Thanks
                Jim
                I hope that you have someone that is familiar with this model of transmission and is experienced with them.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X