Distributor removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Distributor removal

I am looking in the service book on removing the distrbutor. Do I need to turn the engine such that cylinder one is at TDC? It doesn't say anything about this in the manual. Or do I just mark the position it was in when removed and reinstall it in the same position. I will be taking it apart somewhat so want to make sure I don't screw things up when I have to reinstall it. Thanks. This is an Autolite on a 6 cylinder 170.

If I remove the distributor from any engine, I first set the engine to TDC #1 cylinder, then remove the distribuitor cap and mark where the rotor is pointing on the distributor base. This makes it easy to drop back in place and get the timing close enough to start; then set with a light.

Comment

I do the same . Set it up on #1 and you won't forget where you're at!( That seems to happen more often than it used to?) Try to avoid 180deg out by being sure rotor is pointing at #1.

Comment

The Champion engine and its children are cleverly designed so that the distributor will only go one way--you cant get the rotor to point the "wrong way" That said, you still have to get the distributor itself to point roughly the right way till you set the timing but a piece of chalk will suffice for that.

Comment

I'd rather pull and replace 10 V-8s than one Champ 6 cyl!

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
            The Champion engine and its children are cleverly designed so that the distributor will only go one way--you cant get the rotor to point the "wrong way" That said, you still have to get the distributor itself to point roughly the right way till you set the timing but a piece of chalk will suffice for that.
            What he said. The tang on the end of the distributor of a Champion engine is offset from center. It can only go back in one way. I always pull the distributor on a six when changing points and the like.
            The only way to mess up would be if you took the pin out that holds the lower shaft on and installed the shaft 180 degrees off.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
            X