Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V-8 Oil Pan identification

Hi All,
    I'm trying to button up my new project motor (Jack V. 308 CID) and am having some difficulty in choosing the correct (best performance) oil pan.

Pan # 1
    -Not my first choice as someone used it to jack up cars and very seriously dented/distorted the sump and drain plug area.
    I was able to beat the drain plug area into submission but it looks like hell.
    The drain plug itself has a large square reinforcement inside the center of the sump approximately 4 " from the rear and a fairly large head on the plug.
    -There is also a large wind-age tray extension approximately 5 1/2" long tack welded to the front pan area and sides. This gives the appearance of the front pan area extended towards the rear a long way. It looks to be more recent than the rest of the pan. Perhaps I modified this many years ago but now have no recollection of doing so.
    -It has a screw in dipstick tube approximately 4 1/2 " from the rear.

Pan # 2 (no pics)
    - Still installed on a motor I suspect may be either a 224 or 232.
    -Screw in dipstick tube at far right rear angled forward.
    -Drain plug is at very rear of sump, center of angled edge, and much smaller head size.

Pan # 3
    -Obviously a much larger capacity.
    -Unknown source but suspect it may be a truck pan?
    -Due to increased size, I am unsure if this would clear all obstructions in a '63 GT Hawk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1626[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1760739Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1627[1].jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1760740Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1624[1].jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1760741Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1623[1].jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1760742Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1623[1].jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1760742

Any insight into which pan will serve my purposes is greatly appreciated. (sorry for the duplication-my lack of patience coming through again).
    Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Bill

At a glance, it appeared the deep part of the truck pan may have clearance problems with the tie rods. But just to be sure, I went out and looked under our 62GT and 63GT. It appears if that sump exceeds about 4" farther forward than stock, it would not clear the tie rods, but. I'd feel safer with limiting it to 3". Your truck pan looks to be at least 6" longer in the area. But that's only a visual guesstimate.

Near as I can determine from your pix, the forward, shallow part of both pans looks about the same.

Comment

Buzz, The center pic is of a 53 to late 54 C or K. I haven't played around with truck pans of the same era and 51-52 pans are similar. The first pan is a 55-58 and looks pretty bad rust wise. What are you putting it in? What are you going to use it for? That will tell you what you need.
      Last edited by Alan; 06-28-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I vote for pan #4 the new pan or good used one that would have been used on the 63 hawks.

Comment

The Long Sump Pan in the 3rd. Pic is a 6 Qt. Pan, the short sump are 5 Qt.

Always add 1 more Qt. for the Total Capacity of the Engine with an Oil Filter.

The Engines in all C and K models DO sit much farther back than Sedans, Wagons and Larks, allowing more steering clearance so some measuring will be required, but they all may work as long as the Oil Pump Pickup Tube and screen is correct for your choice.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X