Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

directional signals 1956 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: directional signals 1956 Power Hawk

1956 Power Hawk / build sheet states Flight-0-Matic / converted to manual 30 yrs. ago / converted to 700R4 auto 5 yrs. ago. Dir signal switch housing has slot for gear selector so I think it may be original. car has had front wiring replaced but do not know when.
    Happened 2 weeks ago. left rear stop light out / bulb - ground - wiring good / right rear stop light good / all directionals working but lever will not lock in either position so "cancel" is moot. dis-assembled & found 1 sheet metal screw securing signal switch, hence lever position issue, tapped holes - correct screws - fixed that but still no left rear stop light.
    Ordered replacement switch which arrived as NOS so of course braided wire colors faded away required OHMing wires while checking against removed switch for colors, then tagging. Installed / connected....now have stop lights and right side with signals. no signal on left rear but pilot and left front good. If I step on brake with ignition off and pull dir lever to left, pilot and left front signal glow and flash ???? Will corresponding bulbs NOT operate with ignition off and stepping on brake pedal meaning "normal" ?
    While searching for a Reproduction switch with actual colors on the wires, i see "except" auto trans. WHY?
    All bulbs function when I disconnect battery, then use a 12V small sealed battery to each harness terminal under the dash so assume that wiring is good.
    ANY IDEAS?
    thanks, Bill Graepel

BILL - No help on your problem, but we live in Port St. Lucie during the winter. We have a 56 Sky Hawk...

Comment

Next time in town, give me a call 772-359-3781. Bring the Hawk. There a few things that I'd like to compare to mine. I purchased this car July 2017. The owner had passed and the car was put together haphazardly so I have been going over everything.
      Thanks, Bill

Comment

Bill, I rewired my 56 POWER HAWK when I rebuilt it in 2009. The shop manual wiring diagram was a huge help to me.It has never seemed right but the turn signals do operate with the ignition switch off. It sounds like you have two feeds getting together(glowing lights).A voltage check may be the best way to sort it out.Best of luck.
        Marshall

Comment

Thanks Marshall. I did not have that issue prior to installing the 60+ year old NOS switch. I sent it back to the vendor and ordered a REPRO from another vendor with wiring colors and a color matching legend.
          With directional signal switch removed from car and battery connected (ignition OFF) I probed all harness side wires with a test light and only had power at RW from stop light switch when pedal pressed / with ignition ON, again I had power at RW from stop light switch when pedal pressed but when probing the Black wire from the flasher, the test light would activate the flasher and pulse. Is that correct?

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Bill, I'll have look at the wiring diagram. I will get back to you.
            Marshall

Comment

Bill,
              Attached is the wiring diagram with my notes. Hope this helps. Click on the thumbnail image below and then select full size to print. (I've never done this before so I hope it works)

Thanks
              MarshallClick image for larger version

Name:	studewiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1728570

Comment

The only explanation is, the Turn Signal Switch is mis-wired.

Flashing Power from the Flasher is not going to the correct terminal, it is getting Stop light Power which is always ON.

Turn Signal Switch Power should be from the Flasher through the "ACC" Terminal of the Ignition Switch to the Fuse on the Flasher Unit Panel with the Stop Light/Dome Light Fuse.

The wiring Diagram is found in your Shop Manual.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 06-28-2019, 11:24 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hi Rich. My 1956 Passenger Car Shop Manual electrical system (page 3) Fig. 1 Main wiring diagram does not show turn signals but on Page 4 there is a diagram of the directional signals. Marshall's diagram more adequately depicts what I see on my car. I'll let all know what happens with the REPRO switch.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Graepel View Post
                    Hi Rich. My 1956 Passenger Car Shop Manual electrical system (page 3) Fig. 1 Main wiring diagram does not show turn signals but on Page 4 there is a diagram of the directional signals. Marshall's diagram more adequately depicts what I see on my car. I'll let all know what happens with the REPRO switch.
                    Thanks
                    Agree with Rich, you should not have power to the signals when key is off. The brakes work with the key off, but not the turn signals. However, if you have the key off and push brake pedal, then operate the turn signal switch, the brake light will go off, on the side of the switched on signal. Still, the signal lights will not operate come on. In other words: with key off, the signal selector will make one of the brake lights go out, but nothing more.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 06-28-2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Turn Signal Switch woes...

Well.....I received the REPRO turn signal switch. Upon inspection, I found that the circuit board was not completely installed into the switch and was cocked to one side although the tabs were bent over so it would not fall apart. In addition, the "ramp" with the detent upon which the cancel plate with the little wheel rides was not wide enough so that the wheel would fall off the ramp. It would NEVER work. I called the vendor who said that they were made in India and quality was an issue. Back it went today.
                      Still searching for a switch.
                      Bill G.

Comment

With the ignition on, my left rear brake/directional gave me problems. Left front directional blinked rapidly, no flashing at the left rear bulb...nothing at the brake light. They both worked at the left rear when they felt like it. The problem was at the left rear connection from the harness to the light wire, at the bullet connections between the rear valence and the bumper. Took the male/female connections apart, cleaned the corrosion off the fittings, silicone greased them, then reconnected them. Problem gone. I'd look for a good used piece.
                        Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 07-01-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

DIY & learn

Thanks for the tip 345 Desoto. Cleaned & checked all of the bulb wiring. Good.
                          Got tired bad parts so I de-soldered and re-soldered the wires on back of the switch, then pried the 4 tangs that hold the switch together and carefully lifted the circuit off the metal body. Made mental note of where the spring loaded contacts were and lifted them out. I then cleaned the contacts and matching pins on the circuit board / applied a light film of dielectric grease / aligned the contacts and pressed together. Then I moved the slide stud back and forth to make sure it didn't bind or stick / bent the 4 tangs back into place. Used 12v remote sealed battery to connect RW wire to + anode with test light to - anode, then checked for BRAKE on BW and GW wires...Good. Now remove RW from + anode and connect BLK / test WB and BW for left turn signal, then WG and GW for right turn signal....GOOD.
                          I installed the switch in the car and connected the switch wires to the harness.
                          Result: properly working BRAKE / TURN & dash pilot lights.

Comment

GOOD!.....

Comment

Dielectric grease is non conductive. I would not put on contacts.

Comment

Working...
                              X