Champ issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Champ issues.

I start the Champ for the first time in a couple of months to move it into the garage so that it doesn't get storm damage during the two weeks I'm down in Norman getting Phase 6 DIOSS training. The Champ gets limped in there despite running spectacularly horrible. It needs to be kept floored to barely start and a really rough idle. It doesn't even try to lift the vacuum gauge off the 0 peg. How is that even possible? I'm guessing horrific needle & seat flooding or horrific vacuum leak. It's AFB equipped. But I'm deferring to the old hands here first. Something else to fret about when I get back in two weeks. Along with the Promega Quad that the competition at FedEx managed to deliver with every single Z slider broken.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

If the vac. gage is working, the engine is sucking a huge amt of air somewhere. Never had any luck with 60 yo AFBs. The new Edelbrocks are sweet. Is the throttle shaft terribly worn? They'll do that. Power brake?? When unit fails it can create a huge vac. leak. For what you will put into oh of AFB, you'll have 1/2 the cost (or more) of a new Edelbrock. Don't do something silly like get a Holley!

Comment

Doug pull top off carb,check float drop and make sure they move freely on hinge pin. sounds like simple flooding. Crap gas will do this to AFB's and Edelbrock clones. while top is off soak accel. pump in something to soften it up. a bit of patience can be rewarding. Luck Doofus

Comment

After a couple of months sitting, it may have one or more valves stuck open
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Okay, I was away in Norman for training for a couple of weeks. I finally started the Champ for the first time since my original post. I plugged the hose to the brake booster. The Champ at first didn't want to start and run like last time. Then after some nursing, it settled down to a halfway nice high idle. At least nice enough to back the Champ out, turn it around with the granny low, and then back it into the patio. Any guesses?

To clear something up that somebody asked in a message, the problems last time started from out of the blue.
          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I think Ron Dame may have had the answer. When you got back and ran it. the valves broke free.

Comment

It is flooded! get it started, keep it running best way you can till it gets warmed up. watch for black smoke out the tail pipe(S) once warmed up how does act? might need plugs or at least a good cleaning.check that the choke is working and not hanging closed a shot of wd40 on carb linkage might help. once warmed up is it hitting on all cyls? take a break and come back in a couple of hours and try a restart, how does it sound now? Vac reading? stumbling on acceleration or.... if you have stuck valves you will hear a godawful hammering sound till they loosen up. sometimes it just takes time to work out the bugs. also how fresh is the fuel? please keep us posted! Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
              X