Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockne10
    replied
    I don't think Topper's link is going to help you much. The early '50s Studebaker adjusters were quite different.

Without getting in to much detail, the round plug through the center of the shoe always rides on the same plane against the drum as the brake lining material and, as that material wears down, the drum pushes the plug towards the adjusting mechanism on the back of the shoe. The plug is attached to the adjusting lever and, as the lever is incrementally pivoted by the motion of the plug, the wedge, which is under spring tension, fills that slack, preventing the lever from returning, and incrementally maintaining the minimal distance between the shoe lining and the drum. In theory, at least if everything is moving properly, you have a constant perfect adjustment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1728497 Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1728498 Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1728499
    Last edited by rockne10; 06-22-2019, 05:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    A quick search got me here, ignore the banners...

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/dru...cient-devices/

Leave a comment:

• thom
    started a topic Brakes: self adjusting brakes on my '52 Commander

self adjusting brakes on my '52 Commander

I consider myself "mechanically inclined", at least I have always been able to fix things when needed and figure out how things work. However, the self-adjusting part of the brakes on my '52 Commander have me puzzled. I believe(?) I have all the parts, and everything seems to work freely but I cannot see how they self adjust themselves. The brakes on mine are all new and working good but I still would like to know how they work. I have the genuine Studebaker brake manual ordered but it has not came yet. Can anyone 'splain them to me or direct me to a good source of info on the 'net in the meantime? thanks
Working...
X