No announcement yet.

self adjusting brakes on my '52 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also remember the self adjusters adjusted the forward shoe, the rear shoe needed to be adjusted manually. I had a set of "Roller Cams", like Hallabut described' and put them on in place of the self adjusters and they worked fine. I also had a machine shop make up a few sets that I have used on '51-52's over the years.

Comment

Wow ... There's a lot of info here .... My 49 Champion coupe left rear brake started to lock up. Removed rear drum per manual, and every thing looks per as discribed in the manual. The brakes are new, per previous owner. The pin is recessed a small amount below the new lining and is not touching the drum. Could this cause preadjustment?
      I initially thought the brake had been manually adjusted wrong at the lining install, but now after reading the comments, I'm not sure.
      Thanks for the info and your comments.

Comment

Locking up is often associated with leaking wheel cylinders, or dirt/crud on the shoe.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
        X