Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

66 Cruiser Passenger Window creeps open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 66 Cruiser Passenger Window creeps open!

I am hoping there is a simple fix for this issue. I replaced the window felt and channel for the Passenger front seat. Thought I adjusted the window as best as I could understand from the manual. After about 20 minutes of driving, the window begins opening to about 1 inch out of the upper channel. Is this a sign of a worn out regulator, or is there a ghost passenger that wants air? I don't mind the ghost passenger, but it doesn't close the window on its own.

Is the window crank mounted so it needs to rise to lower the window, as a first thought. I would position it just below horizontal center so it needs to lift if you haven't done so. Bob

Comment

When this happens, it's usually an indication that the non-return device built into the crank spindle is faulty. If you look at a regulator out of the car, you will see that crank spindle come out of a shallow cup riveted onto the base plate of the regulator. Wrapped around the inside of that cup are several turn of spring wire, with the ends formed into tangs that point in towards the axis of the spindle. Let's say those tangs are placed at 11:00 and 1:00 on the clock face. The crank spindle has a pair of broad fingers that are oriented at 9:00 and 3:00. The pinion gear shaft has a similar pair of broad fingers oriented at 12:00 and 6:00. The crank spindle has a small center pilot section that seats in a recess in the pinion spindle (like the pilot bearing in a flywheel) to keep everything concentric. When you turn the crank, one of the fingers catches the tang on the spring, turning it in the direction that tends to wind the coils smaller, permitting it to turn freely in the cup. And as the finger turns, it also catches the finger for the pinion spindle, and the pinion turns, winding the glass up or down. Should some force be applied to move the glass (gravity, or the counterbalance clockspring), the finger on the pinion spindle contacts the tang of the coil spring in the other direction, causing it to expand in the cup, and act as a brake. That keeps the window from drifting up or down.My guess is that one of the tangs is broken off the non-return spring. To fix it, one would have to remove the regulator and take it apart by drilling out rivets. Once you see how that device is constructed, its operation becomes obvious, but it is tedious to describe it. Worthwhile to try Bob's suggestion, too.If you crank the window all the way down, does it ride up a little as you drive, especially on a bumpy road?
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It sounds like gordr has the problem nailed down. Unless it really IS a ghost. If that's the case you will have to either train him to roll it back up at the end of the ride, or ask him not to ride with you. (Which may be rather difficult to enforce). Either way, I hope you get it figured out.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Yes - what gordr said. I have two lift mechanisms to replace the worn one with - next day I have time to replace! Just succeeded in installing the Roberk 4 way flasher unit. Feel safer now! Thanks for all....

Comment

Working...
          X