Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

still no brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: still no brake lights

The brake lights have not worked on my '52 Commander since I got it, recently. If I unplug the wires at the brake light switch and stick them together, the lights work. The switch appeared to be the original, old anyway, so I replaced it. Still, no brake lights. The brakes feel like they might need bleeding again, though a complete brake replacement was done before I got the car. That is my next plan, to bleed the brakes again and see if that fixes it, I hope.
    thom

Thom, make sure the junction block is clear. I have seen them get crudded up pretty bad. also that new switch could be bad. remove switch and have a helper LIGHTLY press brake pedal,a finger over B L port will keep most air out. Luck Doofus

Comment

Try a brake light switch from a motorcycle. Harley I think. They require less pressure to activate.
      sals54

Comment

Test for power out of the switch with voltmeter or test light when brake pedal is pushed. If you have power then, suspect the turn signal switch.

Comment

Just got one for my 49 Champion yesterday at Federated Auto Parts, Standard SLS27. Around $11, 1/8 pipe thread, screwed right in. If your quick you may only lose few drops of fluid . Works ok. not wired through turn signals on 49.

Comment

Studebaker International is my usual go-to for parts but they don't list a turn signal switch for my '52. Wonder if I can disassemble and clean it and fix it? Anybody tried it?
            I know the feed wire to the switch is "hot" now, because if I cross the wires the brake lights come on, but I don't know what is happening when the brake pedal is pushed.
            thom

Comment

Like Sals54 said, go to a Harley-Davidson dealer and get a switch. It worked great in my Hawk.
              Paul
              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I can only imagine what a Harley switch would cost, if it's like every other Harley part I've known. And if the problem is in the turn signal switch, the Harley switch won't solve the problem anyway.
                thom

Comment

I bought mine at NAPA for about $12, and it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Comment

Your problem is very likely as simple as cleaning out all the green corrosion INSIDE of those Wire Terminals, we had one yesterday on an Avanti at the Special Avanti Event that when you pressed on the terminals you would get contact, but when released, nothing.

They HAVE to be clean, dry and tight, also try crimping the Female Bullets a little tighter.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dont you know? H-D means Hundred Dollars......

Comment

Working...
                      X