Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

50 land cruiser steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 50 land cruiser steering wheel

My land cruiser steering wheel is a basket case and I can't go $850.00 to have it re-cast. Question is How much effort will a smaller diameter wheel require? I am worried it would be too hard to turn at low speed. It's pretty hard to find anything even close to the 18" wheel on it now. Only thing I can find are for big trucks and I'm afraid the grip will be to thick. Any feedback? Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Other year wheels will fit but will not look the same. I would look at other stude wheels and maybe a pickup wheel
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Not sure quite how bad it is. Eastwood sells a steering wheel repair kit for restoration. Other companys have them as well. I believe that they will fill in some pretty large gaps, bu you can be the judge. Good luck with it.

Comment

I put a leather steering wheel cover on my 50 Commander convertible, as most of the damage was around the rim. I was able to find one in a light tan color that looked good with the rest of the wheel. This is the type of cover that goes on rather tightly, and then you stitch it up around the inner diameter. Not cheap, but it looks nice and made the wheel look acceptable again.

I'm not talking about those plastic ones with a zillion holes that you wrap around the wheel, and then wrap that the other way with a vinyl cord. I think those make any steering wheel look cheap.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-15-2019, 12:10 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Www.wheelskins.com sells what Roy is talking about. I just bought one for my 64 Cruiser to match the blue and white on the wheel.

Mark

Comment

Thanks folks, but my wheel is a basket case. The entire center is full of cracks and is crumbling too. I would have to make a mold and re-cast it and the spokes as they all have about a 1/4 inch wide crack about 1/3 way out from the hub. The resin has just shrunk too much. Any way I am sure I will destroy it getting it off. If I can find a way to raise the money it will go to Shock Brothers but right now there other more important repairs needed.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

As unclemiltie says, 47-52 steering wheels should fit. No need for a crappy aftermarket wheel like one would find on a dune buggy.

I certainly would not go to a smaller diameter wheel unless you have arms like Popeye.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The repair kits will easily fill a quarter inch. I repaired mine, then put the leather wrap. Painted repairs with auto paint.

Comment

Thanks RadioRoy,
                  That's what I am afraid of. My 70+ arms do good to steer my riding lawnmower. If I can get it off in one piece I'm going to try repairing it myself, nothing to loose. If that fails and I can sell some of the junk I have collected I may bite the bullet and get mine re-cast, may have to hide it from my wife though.
                  sigpic
                  Barn Find
                  1950 Champion
                  Before I started
                  Jim Berry
                  Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                  X