Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Arc marks on radio antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Arc marks on radio antenna

Well just when I thought I had seen it all. I have an aftermarket telescopic antenna that has removable mast on my Wagonaire. I noticed some spots that I thought were bug residue and with mast off I went to clean it and unbelievable as it may sound, there are spots that appear to be arc marks, some are little holes with blue discoloration around them. I have had this antenna on for several years and never had this before. I wondered if the styrofoam 76 ball could be collecting static electricity or something to that effect, but why did it just now happen after all this time. So any body ever saw this phenomenon before ? I took pics to prove that I am not completely nuts yet Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_150032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1760645Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_150021.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1760646Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_150039.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1760647

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
    Well just when I thought I had seen it all. I have an aftermarket telescopic antenna that has removable mast on my Wagonaire. I noticed some spots that I thought were bug residue and with mast off I went to clean it and unbelievable as it may sound, there are spots that appear to be arc marks, some are little holes with blue discoloration around them. I have had this antenna on for several years and never had this before. I wondered if the styrofoam 76 ball could be collecting static electricity or something to that effect, but why did it just now happen after all this time. So any body ever saw this phenomenon before ? I took pics to prove that I am not completely nuts yet [ATTACH=CONFIG]81739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81741[/ATTACH]
    Not being funny; are you sure the car was never struck by lightning? The antenna mast provides a good electrode. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The antenna is the ground for the radio but the location of the marks don't fit.

Comment

Trying for the laugh, are you listing to ACID rock? In nearly 60 years of driving I have never seen anything like your spots....looks like mini-spot welding. Sherm Green Bay 63R1089

Comment

It doesn't seem like static electricity would create enough energy to burn holes through. Maybe some marking.

Comment

I don't know if it applies in your case but I noticed sparks when unplugging the antenna from a late model car stereo and knew something was wrong so I checked and found that the unit was not grounded and was "trying to" ground through the antenna cable. Maybe check for proper ground connection?
            thom

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
              The antenna is the ground for the radio ...
              Certainly it shouldn't be!
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I suspect its a VERY POOR grade of stainless steel that was used with lots of impurities in it. And being exposed to the elements often enough will break it down as seen in the photos, be it reacting chemically with rain and humidity, or galvanic corrosion causing the pinholes.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X