Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti Temporary Spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: Avanti Temporary Spare

I want to carry a spare in my 74 but it wears 225X55R17 on eight inch wide mustang wheels. They fit in the well but stick up way to much so I spent a fair amount of time looking at temporary spares that will fit in the well and also let me use the spare on the rear axle which has posi.

Bottom line - I found that 02-12 Ford Escapes used a spare rim with a 5X4 1/2" (114.3 mm) lug pattern and a 4 1/4" back spacing. With a 135X90R17 tire it calculates out to a very similiar tire OD mounted so I looked on Ebay and found one in Fredrick, Maryland. $85 delivered to my door.

Pulled the front wheel and stood the spare and the car tire next to each other and with a level they are dead level. Installed on the front the spare fits like the others. Looks like crap but it'll get me down the road if necessary. It sets in the well with at least an inch of clearance.

FWIW - It does have the Turner disc brake conversion on the front.

Yes I do have a AAA card, Yes I have a smartphone but I'm old and carrying a spare is in my DNA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_173359.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1760635 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_172010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1760636 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_160658.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1760637 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_161442.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1760638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_172517.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1760639

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM.

Looks like it should work great. I always like to have a spare along, also. Our local landfill has a seperate place to dump tires. I see new, compact spares there quite often. Maybe I will pick some up and check them out.

Comment

I like a spare as well. I can normally change it before AAA can get someone there. Was always a little nervoues driving my wife's MRoadster (she has owned two of them), which has no spare. And, the tires are NOT run flats.
      Carried a mini 12v compressor and a tire plug kit with me. Fortunately, never needed it.

Way to think outside the box.

Nice solution.

Comment

Bob, how TALL is that spare, so I can compare it to the tires I have?
        Thanks
        John

Comment

I like your thought process Bob. I too have to have a spare and I also take my 4 way lug wrench, a mini air compressor and my tire plugs with fresh glue! OCD can be both a good and bad thing to possess. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
            Bob, how TALL is that spare, so I can compare it to the tires I have?
            Thanks
            John
            John, The best # I get is about 26 5/8". That's consistent with the tire calculator I used when I was looking for tires. It said 26.6". The problem I had was finding the Lug pattern, wheel size to clear the turner brake setup and back spacing that wasn't too much. This tire calculator will not only calculate the tire OD but also gives other sizes that are close. It was an invaluable tool as I calculated the OD of my current 225X55R17 tires with it and used that as the criteria for finding a spare.

When I found a spare with the correct OD I'd Google the wheel pattern for that vehicle to be sure it was 5 X 4 1/2 (114.3 mm). Those criteria led me to the Ford Escape spares. I found that spare OD could vary a fair bit on the same vehicle probably due to tire and rim options. Don't assume because it fits a particular vehicle it is the correct OD. Be sure you get the exact tire size being offered and that wasn't trivial in many cases.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

A spare should fit the car and the tire should have about the same outside diameter as the tires on the car. A spare is a temporary fix to get you off the road or home. Gone are the days when a spare was just another tire like on the car.
              james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                John, The best # I get is about 26 5/8". That's consistent with the tire calculator I used when I was looking for tires. It said 26.6". The problem I had was finding the Lug pattern, wheel size to clear the turner brake setup and back spacing that wasn't too much. This tire calculator will not only calculate the tire OD but also gives other sizes that are close. It was an invaluable tool as I calculated the OD of my current 225X55R17 tires with it and used that as the criteria for finding a spare.

When I found a spare with the correct OD I'd Google the wheel pattern for that vehicle to be sure it was 5 X 4 1/2 (114.3 mm). Those criteria led me to the Ford Escape spares. I found that spare OD could vary a fair bit on the same vehicle probably due to tire and rim options. Don't assume because it fits a particular vehicle it is the correct OD. Be sure you get the exact tire size being offered and that wasn't trivial in many cases.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Bob
                Thanks Bob.
                I'll check the OD carefully before I buy.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X