Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michidan
    replied
    If the sprints are OK, the hinge itself probably bent. They are not really over-engineered, given the weight of the trunk lid.
    I had this problem and ended up having to re-bend and then weld on a stiffening brace to the hinge itself. Not all that easy of a project but it helped quite a bit.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....runk-hinge-fix

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Did you lubricate the hinges when you bought the car, before opening and closing the trunk quite a few times?

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Or the pin broke, and the springs are pulling it past where it normally travels?

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I wonder if one of the springs has broken or lost tension.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    started a topic Body / Glass: trunk lid hinge problem

trunk lid hinge problem

The drivers side trunk lid hinge on my "new" '52 Commander has begun to give me grief. It worked fine for the first several weeks that I had the car, and the trunk was opened and closed quite a few times. Now when I close the trunk the lid shuts down as it should on the passenger side but stands off/up on the drivers side. If I push it down with my hand it still won't go down as far as it should. I have lubricated the hinges and nothing appears to be bent or have slipped. I suppose I will have to remove the trunk lid and "persuade" the hinge to go a little lower? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.
Working...
X