Door hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door hinges

I want to replace the forward weather stripping on the"A" pillars of my '62 GT Hawk. Book says to remove the door. The door hinge at the "A" pillar is held in place with #4 Phillips screws. What do the screws seat into in case the screws refuse to come loose and drilling them out is the only alternative?
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

I believe they screw in to captive nuts inside the pillar. Whereas the screws in to the door screw in to a floating plate, allowing door adjustment.
    But make certain your screws are Phillips, and not Posi drive with four additional cross points. Click image for larger version

Name:	posi drive screw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1728329 A Phillips screwdriver will booger the head of a posi screw.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I replaced the weather strip on my 50 Commander without removing the door. I used a flat stick to press the new weather seal in place.
      I don't like to take things apart unless they really need to be taken apart.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

you can do as Roy said. only problem is you cant do a good job of cleaning out the old glue with the door on. All you can do is use anything you can come up with to get it as clean as possible. The hinges on the hawks are screwed on with a welded on nut on the door post and where it bolts the the door it's self there is a plate that moves that is threaded behind the inner door panel. both you can't get to without a lot of work if you break the screws off. I know because I've had to repair both.

Comment

i put weatherstrips on a '60 Lark without removing the doors.Scraping out the old material is just a matter of finding the right combination of bent screwdrivers or scrapers,and patience working in a tight area.
          I'm with Radioroy on this,especially when it's taking a door off! Taking those hinges off,either the body side or the door side,can really be a major pain in the butt.
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
          X