1961 Lark Starter Shim / correct starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1961 Lark Starter Shim / correct starter

Hi I am working on a 1961 Lark convertible with the 259 automatic does the starter use a shim ?? What is the correct starter for this application ? Are the OEM starter bolts still available ? P/N 529367 thanks Joe
    Joseph Kastellec

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
    Hi I am working on a 1961 Lark convertible with the 259 automatic does the starter use a shim ?? What is the correct starter for this application ? Are the OEM starter bolts still available ? P/N 529367 thanks Joe
    https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/images/529367.jpg
    www.studebakerparts.com

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Don't lose the Starter Bolts, they are a specific type.

Comment

The Bolts should have a fairly long Shoulder to make them fit tightly in both the Bellhousing and the Starter.

There are V8 type Starters for Automatic Trans. and different ones for Manual Trans. due to the length of the extension Housing for the Bendix Drive.

No Shims are required when you have the matching Starter to the Trans. Type.
        Both Autolite/Prestolite and Delco 12 Volt Starters will work on '56 to '64 V8's.

UPDATE: I looked it up for you because you asked, in the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog.

An Early '61V with Automatic, up to and including the first 300 Cars would have a Delco 1539581 with a "Keyed" Bendix Drive.

AFTER the first 300 Auto. Trans. '61's there would be a 1551536 Delco with a "Pinned" Bendix.

It does seem a bit pointless since none would be available New anymore though, and ALL Automatics should work.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-10-2019, 12:49 PM. Reason: Added Part Numbers
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There's actually a "picture" that someone made the describes the differences in Studebaker
          Starters.

Comment

Working...
          X