No announcement yet.

64 Avanti Conk Out Due to Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 64 Avanti Conk Out Due to Alternator?

I posted some months ago concerning the mysterious conk-out of my 64 R1 5190. I still have an issue after considerable work on the fuel system: carb rebuild, new fuel pump and filter. I was test-driving with a friend today and she conked out after about 2 miles of driving. The amps gauge was reading negative. After a few minutes she re-started with starting fluid. I have a nearly-new regulator installed. I did have the air conditioning running and radio. I shut both off and we made it successfully back home, the gauge reading positive. Is it possible that a new heavy-duty alternator is needed here? Or is the regulator not doing its job? I really want to drive my Avanti with peace of mind. Thanks.

I believe that you have an intermittent open or short.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Conk out" is too technical for some of us here. A more detailed plain English description of the symptoms might be good. For instance, when it "conk out", was it sudden and immediate or did it respond to the accelerator pedal and sputter at all or did it seem all fire was gone from the ignition? When it restarted, how did it run and respond? Was the amp gauge ever reading positive and just went negative when conk-out occurred?

As to the alternator and regulator, if the battery is fully charged, a Stude will run with the alternator and regulator removed from the car. It just won't do it forever. Speaking of which, how old is that battery?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

It seemed to hesitate about 15 seconds before quitting. When it quit, it would not respond to throttle at all. When it restarted after a minute or so it was fine.
        Its a Nov 17 battery.

Comment

When it quit all fire was gone yes.

Comment

It could be an overheated or Bad Coil or Distributor Condenser, you probably read the multiple Posts about the "Modern" Chinese or Mexican Condensors Failing often, good O'l USA, New Old Stock or NORS (Replacement) Parts) when you can find them, are BEST.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Your alternator could have one or more open diodes, so the output is less than it should be.
              Many auto parts stores have a machine to test it for free.

Comment

It doesn't sound like a bad alternator or regulator to me if the engine will re start after it cools down a bit. I agree with Rich, I would start looking at things like a bad coil, condenser etc. It's also possible that you have a vapor lock problem. As an added note, I have had problems with new stock voltage regulators on my 63 Avanti. To test that, be sure there is a full charge on the battery, then run the engine above idle for a few minutes and then check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. The voltage should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.7 volts if the alternator and regulator are functioning correctly. If not then further investigation will be necessary. Bud

Comment

I might be tempted to carry a test lite and check the ignition switch. especially if old or new replacement. not an easy task but a good check of "Driver Flexibility" LOL . Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                  X