Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Differences between valve bodies- part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between valve bodies- part 2

Here are the pictures of the FGS (First Gear Start) valve body I bought:

I welcome any info you may have. My next plan is to get a SGS valve body; then I'll post side-by-side pics, followed by disassembly pics.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

I would have already sent you some information on this, but I guess the forum email isn't working. Email me at jdwain (at) comcast.net and I'll send you a PDF of the 1956 service letter.
    Some people really like this changeover, some don't. The early Flight-O whistles and whines in L and upshifts very early. If you raise the shift speed very much you get a harsh 1-2 and 2-3 upshift and downshift and increase the chances of tearing the center web out of the case.

Dwain G.

Comment

A low gear whine is usually related to metal to metal contact by the trans mount. The full reduction gearing is telegraphed to the frame. Shifts can be softened by limiting the fluid volume and pressure to the servo or clutch pack. As far as those external pics go, I doubt that the SGS valve body will differ much; if at all. It's all about the internal routing of the fluid. Hydraulic pressure goes to the second gear servo when in "D". That needs blocked. Also a condideration is whether or not the SGS ones even have a 1-2 shift valve.

Comment

Working...
      X