automatic transmission identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: automatic transmission identification

I am trying to identify a transmission I received for a new project. Here's what is on the top of the unit F28-3 and under it is 5C-1 further down is WG DIV with N 2 written underneath. On the tail is W-G 7B-7 with a capitol B surrounded by a circle. and a lone 3.

I can't find any other identifiers like a tag or a serial number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A Picture here would I.D. it fairly closely, the THIRD Icon to right on that 5 Icon Box above this Post will get you there if you have a pic on Your Computer "C" Drive, and even SOMETIMES from a Photo Hosting Website other than PhotoBucket.

It is most likely a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic.
    Does it have a Tail Housing that excepts a slide-in internally Splined Yoke, or a Bolted Flange for the Driveshaft?

The Model Number WAS on the Left Side on a Oval, riveted-on Nameplate on the Main Case.

The Numbers you found are Date Codes, Shift Numbers, Plant Codes, individual part Casting Numbers etc.

No IDEA what year it was out of?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2019, 06:13 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Pictures please.

Comment

Where does the oil filler pipe attach, and how long is it? Flightomatics had the pipe attached to the right side of the pan with a large flare nut, and on more recent ones, it's a long pipe that reaches to a point a bit forward of the firewall, so you can pull the dipstick from under the hood. The Detroit Gear transmissions and early Flightomatics had a shorter fill pipe that was accessed by way of a cover panel in the floor of the car. I think the switch between fill pipe styles was concurrent with the change from companion flange to slip yoke type drive shaft, but might have been a year later or earlier?
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi Gord!!!! Its the one you so kindly gave to me (sans the trans fluid check pipe, because I forgot to get it!!) , and I have forgotten the kind of transmission it was. I am attaching some pics. the stamping on the end (see pic) has X27 written between the screws on the plate and the number 1 R(?) 7 7 8 2 6 below itClick image for larger version

Name:	20190607_100921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1728288Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_100906.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1728289Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_102418.jpg
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1728290

Comment

It is not a Truck, not a H.D. Oil Cooled, and not a short tail 1956 to 1957 Car, so leaves a Flight-O-Matic from a '58 to '64 "Something" could be 6 Cyl. Low gear Start from a '58 to '62, or a 2nd. gear start from a V8 '58 to '64.

Did you check the LEFT Side for the Nameplate I mentioned in Post #2?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM.
            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by jackg View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]81556[/ATTACH]
              Rich, did you consider this may be a Ford trans? IP-77886 is an original Ford part number that was replaced (updated) in the 1960's.

Here's a page from the 1949/59 car catalog with similar numbers.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by WinM1895; 06-07-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Jack, if it's the one I gave you, it's probably a Flightomatic from a V8-powered Lark. If it is not satisfactory, I have more.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                  Rich, did you consider this may be a Ford trans? IP-77886 is an original Ford part number that was replaced (updated) in the 1960's.

Here's a page from the 1949/59 car catalog with similar numbers.
                  No Bill actually I did not, you're the Ford Guy, not me!

I enlarged it, and it is IP-778826.
                  Most of the Parts Gord saves are Studebaker, not much Ford I don't think.

Wouldn't that be a Borg Warner Number, similar to those used on the Ford version of the Cast Iron, small case Ford-O-Matic, but not actually a FoMoCo Number?
                  StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    No Bill actually I did not, you're the Ford Guy, not me!

I enlarged it, and it is IP-77826.

Most of the Parts Gord saves are Studebaker, not much Ford I don't think.

Wouldn't that be a Borg Warner Number, similar to those used on the Ford version of the Cast Iron, small case Ford-O-Matic, but not actually a FoMoCo Number?
                    Look at the 1P Ford part number prefixes I listed in post #7.

Comment

Working...
                    X