Distributor Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Distributor Alternative

Don't know if this has been discussed here...

https://crtperformance.com/shop?olsP...-engine&page=2
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

That's OK Bill if you have never been here at the right time to see the HUNDREDS of posts about Pertronix Ignition Systems, and these aftermarket Chinese replacement Distributors sold by at least a half dozen different Co's.

Like most everything there are the PRO and CON statements about them and when comparing them they all turn out to be exactly THE SAME, even ones sold by Pertronix!!

There are many details to pay attention to; like most but not all, come with reverse Dist. Caps using MALE Terminals needing special Female Dist. end Plug Wires and also a high powered Coil I think about 45,000 Volts.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ic+distributor

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?111039-63-Hawk-new-electronic-distributor-or-pertronix&highlight=electronic+distributor

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ic+distributor

Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2019, 04:56 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Reversed cap terminals are not a deal to be concerned with in any way.
      Most "all" that I've seen, yes even cheap wire sets contain the wire ends for this "backward" cap terminal configuration.

They also do not "require" anything but a properly working coil. The higher power is fine, but not a requirement.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
        Don't know if this has been discussed here...

https://crtperformance.com/shop?olsP...-engine&page=2
        I bought one from A team performance (for a Chevy) and decided to check it out in my Sun Distributor machine before stabbing it in the car. Glad I checked it out first. Here is the review I posted on another site:

Item was described as:

Brand: A-TEAM PERFORMANCE Surface Finish: Red
        Manufacturer Part Number: R2R6701R Warranty: Yes
        Interchange Part Number: PE323R UPC: Does Not Apply
        Other Part Number: Ready To Run Electronic

Got the distributor, and was very impressed with the machining of the body. Uses a GM type module. Very little slack up and down with the shaft. Put it on the distributor machine and for ran it at 500 rpm (which would be 1000 crank rpm if in the car). Started to increase the rpm and it started retarding the timing at 1000 rpm (2000 crank). Wait a minute, what did I do wrong? Nothing! Ran it multiple times and got the same result every time. It did finally start advancing, but not until 1200 or so, and then advanced so slowly, it did not reach full advance until 3000 distributor rpm (6000 at the crank). Totally unacceptable.

I thought maybe just remove one of the springs and see if it advanced a little quicker, but wanted to investigate the retard issue. I wasn't seeing things. Took it over the the bench and discovered that the reluctor wheel (if that is what you call it) turns a few degrees on the shaft. Even though they did a great job machining the body, they did not take the same care machining the groove in the shaft where the wheel sits. Pics attached. You can see how I am rotating the wheel, but the shaft does not move in those two pics.

The auction will be gone soon, so I tried to post a screen shot. Would not post. Item is 262465384326.

I am sending the distributor back. It is a shame. Had they spent just a day sorting out the machining of the shaft (one groove) and working out a decent curve, this would have been a winner.

What a shame.

I would NOT purchase one that doesn't use off the shelf parts. The small body I have now uses a Ford pick up and a GM module. I can carry those parts with me. The module could be replaced on the side of the road i fneeded. The pick up would require pulling the distributor, so would not likely attempt that on the side of the road.

Comment

Before, these aftermarket distributors were available I whacked the top off a GM HEI distributor and grafted it to the bottom of a Stude distributor. I used an Accell module and coil, and an adjustable vacuum unit; it works great. I did the same for my big block Ford 30 years ago, it still works great too. FYI, if you do this use an Oldsmobile distributor, the Chevy turns the wrong way. Guess how I found out.... I did learn how to reverse the direction of a GM distributor though. Life is for learning!

Comment

John Lasseter in Lebanon, OR, makes a converted Prestolite distributor that uses a Mopar Prestolite reluctor and pickup, driving a GM HEI module fastened to a heat sink plate attached to the underside of the distributor bowl. Very slick, and it will work with your standard coil. All self-contained, and it uses a "normal" Prestolite cap. Needless to say, the distributor is overhauled, too. The only caution would be to make you do not supply it power by way of the built-in pink resistor wire.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
              John Lasseter in Lebanon, OR, makes a converted Prestolite distributor that uses a Mopar Prestolite reluctor and pickup, driving a GM HEI module fastened to a heat sink plate attached to the underside of the distributor bowl. Very slick, and it will work with your standard coil. All self-contained, and it uses a "normal" Prestolite cap. Needless to say, the distributor is overhauled, too. The only caution would be to make you do not supply it power by way of the built-in pink resistor wire.
              FWIW, I've done this type rebuild and conversion on both Delco and Prestolites, as well as these using the separate Mopar module. Problem is with labor and parts, they end up costing more than the shiny new Chicom bling available on eBay.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X