Aluminum water pumps for chevybakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Aluminum water pumps for chevybakers

The bearing in the water pump of my Avanti II is going bad. Anyone have experience with those aluminum water pumps? I'm swapping on an aluminum intake manifold & maybe an aluminum pump to get some weight off of the front springs.
    Mike Sal

The only issue I would be concerned about is the length of the pump...there are short-nose, long-nose and Corvette water pumps. The Corvette pump may be the same as the short-nose but with a heavier bearing. From my own experience I've seen no difference in performance or life between cast iron and aluminum. You might consider aluminum pulleys as well depending on cost.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I spent most of my career as a water pump engineer & know the different styles. My company never made "short leg" aluminum pumps so i didn't have any experience with them. I think I'll order one to see if I trust it. The grease in the old pump had gone bad & the bearing was a little rumbly, although it wasn't leaking yet....these are the kind that will go thru your radiator if you don't pay attention.
      Mike Sal

Comment

We put an aluminum, Edelbrock pump on our '53 (with SBC) about 15 years ago. It works great and still continues to. I put one on my big block Ford about the same time, it's still working pefectly too. Of course, the Edelbrock pump is not your average $20 pump, they were about $160 when we bought them. Surprisingly they're only $260 for the SBC now, the Ford is over $300.

Comment

Just remember to get the correct rotation for your vehicle as either direction will fit.

Comment

Nothing new, been around 30 years or so.
            Just buy a brand name and the correct length that your car needs.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X