No announcement yet.

this hub puller, yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like so many other tools, unless you're an old car restorer, you don't need it very often but, when you do, nothing else will suffice.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

This subject comes up from time to time, and especially from folks unfamiliar with tapered axles and/or new to the hobby, but some subjects are worth being covered well and repeated. If you purchase a quality three legged tool as pictured... properly placed, it can pull a four or five lug wheel without damage. If the wheel is not stuck too bad, on a four lug wheel, you can remove one leg and pull it with two. The key to pulling any wheel is to do your best to position the legs as evenly as possible before beginning the pulling process. My method is to snug up the legs on the lugs finger tight and as even as possible. In post #10 above, SScopelli shows an excellent picture where the puller is perfectly positioned on a center-line to the axle which makes the best position for pulling.

In addition to turning the axle nut over and putting it back on to protect the axle end, I insert a 1/4" thick steel wafer for added protection to the axle. For the pulling action, I use the "ears" on that lead screw wrench and snug it up. Then use a hammer to tighten the lead screw to produce substantial torque, and then rap the center with the hammer. Alternate rapping the "ears" and the lead screw. Both of these surfaces are made for impact, but I never wail away with the hammer. As tough as these tools are, the impact areas can be mushroomed, and your wheels can become warped or distorted. Even an axle with the nut in place for protection can be damaged if you lose your cool and ape hammer away. I have left a puller on under pressure overnight to come back the next day and find the wheel popped loose. It's not nearly as difficult as we can make it sound, but many of us grew up around these things to where it was a pretty routine chore and it's easy to assume others see it that way.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I actually had a puller like the one I'm bidding on but someone broke into my garage a few years ago and stole it, as well as a bunch of my other tools.
        thom

Comment

52Hawk, I’m interested in yours. I’m in Shorewood Illinois. I’ll be at the Peotone swap meet tomorrow the 9th with my 57 Commander in the car corral. Tim 678-773-5764

Comment

Peotone is 85 miles from me. A little farther than I'd like to go today. But I can send pics of the puller to you,if that is a smart phone.?
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
              Peotone is 85 miles from me. A little farther than I'd like to go today. But I can send pics of the puller to you,if that is a smart phone.?
              Yes, an IPhone

Comment

All excellent points, John Clary.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

52hawk, It looks like the one I was bidding on has went past my limit. But if tim333 wants to buy yours that's fine, I can find another, I'm sure.
                  thom

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                    52hawk, It looks like the one I was bidding on has went past my limit. But if tim333 wants to buy yours that's fine, I can find another, I'm sure.
                    A quick check on eBay for "tapered axle wheel puller," shows there are currently no fewer than 8 USA based three legged wheel pullers for sale. The ones I saw are priced at around fifty bucks (a little under and a little over) and that includes shipping. I'm not sure you could find a garage that would pull your drums off for that price, and in the four days since this thread started you could have already probably had one at your door.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What about the ones listed as "front wheel 4x4 hub pullers", they are made a little differently, but would they work?
                      thom

Comment

Here's one for a reasonable price on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-20-2029-Universal-Hub-Puller/dp/B012P0QV5K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=18ZG52EYVMRIR&keywords=hub+puller+tool&qid=1560118507&s=gateway& sprefix=hub+puller%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-4

Comment

That is one of the new Chinese knock offs. I think he was looking for a USA made vintage tool.

The one on ebay went for $46.65. Good price. Looks like it is missing the striking wrench. Although, if you have an impact gun, that works well too.

Most of ones you see in the $50 range are Chinese knock offs. Have no idea of the quality. JUST because it is made in China, doesn't mean it CAN'T be good quality. However, pretty hit and miss.

Most of the vintage USA models like this one (New Britain, Bonney, Mac, etc.) are priced considerably higher. Some over $200.

Comment

That makes sense. It may work, or it may break on the first use. I found mine in an antique store. The lady asked me if it was going to be shop art, but I told her it was going back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                              Thom,mine is sold,and on it's way to Tim. Just thought I'd mention,one thing to look for on this tool. The end of the shaft which goes against the axle,should have a separate piece which includes a thrust bearing.That way,the end of the center shaft is not turning on the axle as you tighten it. [As,I think,the one in SScopelli's video has,and mine did]
                              Others have already mentioned the risk of buying a Chinese knock-off!
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X