this hub puller, yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: this hub puller, yes or no

Will this work on my '52 Commander and my maybe '62 Lark? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    thom

Yes on both. Rear drums only.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thank you.
      thom

Comment

Same one I use, they work fine.

Mike

Comment

If they are tight stand aside it can come off and hit you.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
            If they are tight stand aside it can come off and hit you.
            They SHOULD be tight. This is why we remove the axle nut completely, then turn it around and twist it on a few threads before using the puller. When the hub does finally release it can't go ballistic.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I've heard the old cheap way is to loosen the nut a few turns then drive the car around, maybe do some figure eights and they will pop loose, but I don't want to risk damaging anything. And what if I want to check out the brakes on a non-running car? I think I'll get myself a puller. The one I posted a pic of is a used one but I believe it would be better than a new Chinese made one.
              I think I need to look into the brakes on my "new" '52 Commander. It supposedly has all new brake parts on it but the brakes still don't feel quite like they should to me. I'm betting the previous owner didn't know how to do the initial adjustments when he/they installed the new shoes and self-adjusters. I do.
              thom

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                I've heard the old cheap way is to loosen the nut a few turns then drive the car around, maybe do some figure eights and they will pop loose, but I don't want to risk damaging anything.
                Yeah, don't do that You are right, that method is old, and cheap, from the days when people drove these cars into the ground and treated them like dirt. Get the puller and follow the notes about about the axle nut. You'll be much happier for it

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have the same puller for my 1950 Land Cruiser. The left side came right off, but the right side I had to hit the center bolt a couple good blows to get it loose.

As far as "the brakes don't feel right", once they are correctly adjusted, and ALL the air is bled out, then the pedal should be very solid with only a slight push.

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                    Will this work on my '52 Commander and my maybe '62 Lark? Thanks.
                    Works great.

Click to play video ==>HLPM0072

Comment

The video was cool, but I can't believe how filthy your shop is. Just kidding, it looks like you could eat off of the floor. My shop is never quite that tidy, even after a good cleanup. It looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by thom
                        I am bidding on that on Ebay, willing to go to about $xx, including shipping. There are some others bidding though so I might not get it. I can buy a new Chinese made one for less, but would rather have a vintage, American made one. Anybody got a spare they want to sell?
                        Not a good idea to post this info on a public forum. I found the auction on ebay and was tempted to put is a snipe bid for just a bit more than you were willing to pay. The snipe bids don't enter until there are only 5 seconds to go. Fortunately, I am not a horse's a$$, so instead, I found one similar and did the "buy it now." Several manufacturers used that same design. For all I know they were all made in the same place, and got different brands labeled. I bought this one, which looks to have never been used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonney-Univ...53.m2749.l2649

It cost just a little more, and this way I don't feel like I am hosing a fellow Studebaker Forum member. I believe you can go back and edit your post to delete the dollar amount. Probably too late now, but wouldn't hurt.

Comment

I bought Craftsman some 40 years ago and it has served me well. Looks identical to those pictured, but hopefully was made in the USA back then.

Caution: Don't try a three legged puller on a 4 bolt 1950 or earlier Champion. You have to have an adapter made to do that.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have one I'd sell. It's very old,and I bought it on this forum. Made by "Wright", Made in USA.
                            Last edited by 52hawk; 06-08-2019, 01:07 PM.
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I guess I'm committed to the one on Ebay unless I get outbid. If I do. I'll talk to you about yours. Thanks.
                              thom

Comment

Working...
                              X