Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWChamp
    replied
    When I installed new radials on my 1950 Land Cruiser, I couldn't get the beads to spread and take air, so I finally just installed radial tubes.
    Tubes hold air much better anyway.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    I don't think you will have a problem with the valve stem leaking. I've seen a lot worse rims with no air leaks. You could always put some bead sealer on the valve stem before installing for insurance.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Well there IS hope, because these wheels should be quite available in good used condition SOMEWHERE due to the fact that they were used on a LOT newer, and Large number of extant 1/2 Ton Stude. Trucks.

Not so much NOS ones though.
    The last NOS pair I bought was at Frost and French Studebaker in Los Angeles in 1970, and they may still be on the Champ I sold that now lives with Forum Member "Oregon Rose" in Oregon.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-05-2019, 09:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Trikebldr
    started a topic Wheels / Tires: Any NOS ones out there?

Any NOS ones out there?

All five wheels on my '50 Commander had rust, so I had them sandblasted, and they are now painted with baked Rustoleum. They look good, EXCEPT,...…! There are some patches of rust pits that concern me. Not from a strength point of view, but from a slow leak possibility. Especially the ones surrounding the valve stem holes.
    On some wheels those holes are placed with enough "meat" be able to put screw-together type stems in them, and even be able to use some sealant around them, but these stock wheels have those holes right up against the perpendicular surface next to the hole. So, a standard pop-in stem will not be able to tighten up to seal into the small rust pits.
    Does anybody know of any original wheels available for this car. They would need the original hub cap retaining clip slots. That seems to be my stumbling block on finding replacements. Lots of suitable wheels otherwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_120159.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1760605Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_120229.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1760606Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_120301.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB