Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1949 Commander Front Wheel Cylinder Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1949 Commander Front Wheel Cylinder Mystery

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have just got my 2nd Stude-mobile. Its a 1949 commander regal and am in the process of completely overhauling the brake system.
    My big question is where can I locate a set of front wheel cylinders for the old gal? Will a set of same year champion brakes work? I have the rears on order already.
    I have been researching this for the last number of days and am at a total loss - have spoken with Studebaker Int and Studebaker parts to no avail. Thank you in advance for any advice, I am so excited to get this one back on the road!

The 1947-1949 Commander front wheel cylinders are Studebaker part number 521568, they fit both left and right. Vendor Stephen Allen has these on their website at $150 ea. new old stock (NOS) with new cylinder kits.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

http://studebakervendors.com/

https://www.studebakerparts.com/
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you dpson & Radio Roy.

I made a number of calls and found the cylinders. Will post once shes moving & stopping like a champ!

Comment

Originally posted by Youngstudedude View Post
          Thank you dpson & Radio Roy.

I made a number of calls and found the cylinders. Will post once shes moving & stopping like a champ!
          She'll stop like a Commander - much better brakes than a Champ.

Be sure to replace the flexible brake hoses. One in the rear and two in the front.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Heck ya!

That is funny, yes new hoses and a new set of brake lines as well - the ones that were there were totally rotted out.
            Should have confirmed here before ordering a few days ago but I found this set on Ebay and specified the hill holder unit.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Metal-b...72.m2749.l2649
            Does this look like a good choice? Will be pulling wheels and hubs over the next few days to see how the insides are and getting prepped for all the new parts to go in.
            Anything in particular I should be looking over/concerned about?

Comment

You should have a Studebaker shop manual and at the very least a chassis parts catalog. Take the time to read the chapters that refer to your task.

Do you have the correct puller for the rear HUBS?

The self adjusters work fine if they are clean. And use new plugs if you install new shoes. Don't try to leave them out as you will not be able to adjust the brake shoe free play without the self adjusters in place.

Many people have reported problems with sealing hill holder after they took it apart. You might leave it assembled, but take it off the car and clean it with alcohol.

Comment

Very cool thank you Radio Roy,

Hoping to keep the brake shoes but will see where they are at. Is it possible just to swap the orientation if the loaded side is well worn?

I do have that Manuel so will study up as much as possible.

I ordered this puller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will that do the job or will I need something else for the rear?

Comment

That's the right puller for the rear. You don't need a puller for the front. The beauty of these brake line kits is that they should have the right length lines will good double-flare ends. Like Roy said, you should try to clean out the hill holder with alcohol. You might want to buy a cheap tubing bender. Not saying the cupro-nickel lines are hard to bend, but a simple hand-held bender will make more professional-looking bends.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I agree with what Roy said in #7. When I went through the brakes on my 1950 Land Cruiser a year ago I had trouble finding the rear brake hose. After a few trips back to the large brake shop here in the Twin Cities, I finally found out they had the perfect hose, but it was 1" longer than the original. Well, that was even better, as it wouldn't put strain on the ends when I go air born topping the hills at high speed. LOL

Comment

Very cool thank you Radio Roy,

Hoping to keep the brake shoes but will see where they are at. Is it possible just to swap the orientation if the loaded side is well worn?
                      No, you cannot swap the forward facing and rearward facing shoes. The self adjusters are on the forward facing shoes only. Read and understand the shop manual and look at the diagrams in the chassis parts catalog.

Don't take any short cuts with the brakes. The brakes are your life.

These brakes and their self adjusters work fine, but are not like the brakes in brand X cars, so they may not be like what you are used to seeing.

When you install the self adjusting plug, it must be flush with the surface of the brake shoe when the plug is fully extended. Make sure all the parts are there and clean and rust free. If you leave any part out, the self adjusters may not work, or the brakes may be noisy.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-04-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

This has been great information!
                        Manuel definitely shows why they cant be swapped. Have been as prudent as possible with this part of the car and am hoping with a new brake system and tires she will be rolling along safety once again. Definitely not worth skimping out on.
                        Engine runs great, gunna swap out the oil, coolant, gear oil - gearbox and OD, rear diff, get some fresh grease in the joints and back on the open road!!

Comment

When I go through the entire brake system on my old cars I always switch to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid.

Comment

If you have to have the shoes relined, I wonder if you can get softer brake linings? The new/current stuff is pretty hard. If the shoe re-liner understands that an antique car will only be driven a little every year, he/she might have some sifter stuff that will respond better to pedal pressure.

This has been great information!
                            Manuel definitely shows why they cant be swapped. Have been as prudent as possible with this part of the car and am hoping with a new brake system and tires she will be rolling along safety once again. Definitely not worth skimping out on.
                            Engine runs great, gunna swap out the oil, coolant, gear oil - gearbox and OD, rear diff, get some fresh grease in the joints and back on the open road!!
                            Make sure you use the correct transmission and overdrive oil which is NOT GL-5. Lots of previous discussions on this subject, so it's time to learn the search function. You will be glad you did.

BTW, there are more than 20 zerk fittings in the front suspension. Probably none of them have had grease since Eisenhower was in office.
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-04-2019, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I agree with TW Champ. Use DOT5 if you replace everything. While you're at it might as well replace the master cylinder. Me, I would go ahead, give Turner Brake a call and put in a Dual Pot MC, a lot more work, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X