Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Radio recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Radio recommendations

Can anyone help me decide on a radio for my '63 Champ? I've found 2 modern radios that appear to fit the original bezel. The Retro manufacturing Laguna and the Classic Car Stereo USA-630. The USA-630 will control an optional under dash CD player.
    If anyone has experience with either of these and can share any info I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I bought a Retro when I was building my Hawk. Had it for a year or two before the car got to a point where it was time to install. Once the car was done the radio lasted less than a year before it failed.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Have you considered having a Stude radio "re-modeled" with all new latest technology innerds? Radio Roy (Roy Yost) in California does terrific work and is reasonably priced. He did the radio in my brothers '63 Avanti and will be doing the one going into my '64 GT Hawk. Top quality, good service and a real nice guy to deal with, I highly recommend him. Bill

Comment

The Aroura conversion (as done by Radio Roy) is a very good way to go. I did one, and put very good JBL component speakers, and a Small Rockford-Fosgate amplifier. It sounded fantastic.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
          I bought a Retro when I was building my Hawk. Had it for a year or two before the car got to a point where it was time to install. Once the car was done the radio lasted less than a year before it failed.
          Your post made me wonder about radios in our vintage cars. They were pretty darned crude back in the day. Tubes are pretty tough, durable, and generate a lot of heat on their own. Other components were kinda rugged as well, but some were wrapped/coated with stuff that could corrode, deteriorate, and break down over time too. In terms of modern radio components, solid state, I'm wondering how they hold up under the intense heat of summer days out in the hot southern sun from our Studebaker high mounted dash positions? Printed circuits are very thin and if the material on which they are printed warps or cracks from the heat it seems to me it is very likely to cause tiny cracks in circuits and resulting in a failure hard to track down.

So, I thought I would throw this aspect out to the forum for discussion. I would like Radio Roy's input along with others about such potential failures and measures that can be taken to minimize the risk of failure. My thinking is that a solid state upgrade would be much better over the heat generating old-school tube radio. However, what measures should be taken to insulate, or minimize external heat such as having a vehicle sit out in the hot sun on a display field, or hot, black asphalt parking lot???
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have an original radio if you’re interested.

Comment

I occasionally restore radios and can verify that the Aurora components are awesome. I have used their DC/DC converters and solid state vibrators. How about restoring the radio and adding a modern solution like Secret Audio? That is what I did on my M15. I mounted the Secret Audio unit behind the seat.
              1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
              See rescue progress here on this blog:
              http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do you have contact info for Radio Roy?

Thanks!

Comment

You can send him a private message here on this forum, just click on his name and you should be able to make it. Radio Roy has posts and comments throughout the various posts and threads on all the forums. Bill

Comment

Radio Roy has replied here but also mentioned that his shop was closed at this time. I had the Aurora FMR-2.7 conversion done on my radio by Joe's Classic Car Radio's, he's on the internet only, doesn't take phone calls. Just received it back today, not installed yet but I'm very happy with the work. The lead time was quite long, 12 weeks, you need to have patience I guess to receive a quality product. With this conversion the radio has AM/FM stereo with outputs for an external amplifier, auto tuning, voice assist and some other features, Bluetooth is extra.

Comment

i ran into with that problem on my 60 merc. convertible, back in the day the sun and the heat fried my board on my radio,the cost of the board at that time was 125.. dollars i had to pay i could not repair it.

Comment

Working...
                      X