RFI shields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: RFI shields?

My '50 Commander has these little metal "cups" around the spark plugs with some large "umbrellas" on the plug wires. Are these some kind of RFI suppression shields since it has a radio? I've never seen such plug wires or cups before. But then, I have been predominantly a Chevy and Henry J freak!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_133418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1760589

To keep static noise down to a minimum, there were usually condensers on the generator and regulator. They look like they might be something to keep water from grounding out the plugs causing the engine to misfire or die - but I have been wrong before...

Comment

They do remind me of something that might have been part of a fording kit like military trucks used so they could cross deeper water. Is there also a cover over the distributor cap?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        They do remind me of something that might have been part of a fording kit like military trucks used so they could cross deeper water. Is there also a cover over the distributor cap?
        No cover over distributor. Just a metal shield/guide for plug wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_133600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1728221

Comment

Originally posted by Trikebldr View Post
          No cover over distributor. Just a metal shield/guide for plug wires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81422[/ATTACH]
          I believe that was just a guide/holder for the wires to keep them together and protect them.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Those look like the cups and boots that Chrysler products had on their flatheads around the 49-52 era. Probably someone just put them on to help with damp start conditions. Perhaps they were a "severe service" option that you might find by careful study of the parts book. In any event, with the rubber boots, they are not helping with RFI.

Comment

The moisture stopping kits were offered by Studebaker as Studebaker accessories back in the flat head days. Some years back I had several sets of them, but sold them long ago.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

They are certainly not something you need, and that dates the wires to around 60 years old.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X